Author Topic: drive clutch and driven clutch Lubing ?  (Read 1279 times)

pmccook1

• View Profile
drive clutch and driven clutch Lubing ?
« on: September 28, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »
I bought a can of the comet spray lube from Randy @ OdySalv,  and not really sure how the rear clutch should be operating.

To replace the belt,  The Manual says spread the driven pully with your hands,      I tried , and it didn't budge,    Should this pully be easy to spread apart with just your hands ?      I can see on the slippers that they have been moving back and forth,  But am I supposed to do something else to be able to spread the pully apart by hand  ?
I got the new belt on by doing it like a chain on a sprocket, and roll it on.

Where all do I need to spray the comet spray ?      I sprayed where the rollers are on the clutch,   But what about the driven pully ?

Weed

• View Profile
driven clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
The driven is kinda tight....usually.  You can spray the three ramps and "slippers" or nylon pieces that ride on the ramps on the back side of the clutch.  Also you should lube up the center shaft under the spring.  To move the clutch face you need to spin it in the opposite direction of the ramps(or grab each clutch face and turn them in opposite directions).  A new clutch is kinda hard to turn, an older should be easier.  Once you have moved an inch or so have some one sick a piece of wood between the clutch faces or shove the belt down to wedge it open.  Give the shaft a liberal squirt, the stuff is so thin it will get everywhere it needs to be.  

If you have a 102c Drive clutch you should worry more about the pins and washers than the surfaces on the weights.   Be liberal on the center shaft too.

Did your can come with a plastic straw to put in the nozzle?????  That works best for getting the stuff where it needs to be.

Try not to get it on the clutch faces where the belt rides.....it will burn off but it would be better if you wiped it off.

Weed.........

DunePilot

• View Profile
drive clutch and driven clutch Lubing ?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 09:25:59 AM »
Comet clutch lube is the best stuff.

Do not ever buy or use this.  Cost me two clutches.
DP

redskinman

• View Profile
Re: driven clutch
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:08:42 PM »
Quote from: "Weed"
The driven is kinda tight....usually.  You can spray the three ramps and "slippers" or nylon pieces that ride on the ramps on the back side of the clutch.  Also you should lube up the center shaft under the spring.  To move the clutch face you need to spin it in the opposite direction of the ramps(or grab each clutch face and turn them in opposite directions).  A new clutch is kinda hard to turn, an older should be easier.  Once you have moved an inch or so have some one sick a piece of wood between the clutch faces or shove the belt down to wedge it open.  Give the shaft a liberal squirt, the stuff is so thin it will get everywhere it needs to be.  

If you have a 102c Drive clutch you should worry more about the pins and washers than the surfaces on the weights.   Be liberal on the center shaft too.

Did your can come with a plastic straw to put in the nozzle?????  That works best for getting the stuff where it needs to be.

Try not to get it on the clutch faces where the belt rides.....it will burn off but it would be better if you wiped it off.

Weed.........

I'm glad someone asked this question because I need to know how to do it myself
How do you know what clutch you have?