Author Topic: Considering purchase of a Pilot. Have a few questions.  (Read 3940 times)

Fiveoh

• View Profile
Considering purchase of a Pilot. Have a few questions.
« on: July 29, 2007, 09:43:47 PM »
Hello fellas, new to the board and have a few questions for a newb to the Pilot world. Have never owned one but am quite intrigued buy videos I have seen of them. My background is primarily with 4 wheelers as I have an '07 Rubicon decked out with trimmings pretty much set up for mud/trail riding. I like the fact that the Pilot seems to be a much safer alternative and sportier.

From a reliability standpoint just how reliable are Pilots? Are they very finicky like most two strokes? Will I have to contend with constant jetting issues? Are they suited for constant trail use as in a full days worth of hard trail riding? Bottom line I want something that I can hop in pretty much whenever and ride; not have to constantly wrench on to keep it running. I do however understand the occasional belt change and whatnot but my biggest concern is its overall reliability being a two-stroke. I live in northwest Tennessee relatively close to Land Between the Lakes so that would be my primary riding place away from home but also live on 150 acres so have plenty of play areas at the house as well. Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you guys.

Steven 8)

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Considering purchase of a Pilot. Have a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 06:19:30 AM »
Quote from: "Fiveoh"
Hello fellas, new to the board and have a few questions for a newb to the Pilot world. Have never owned one but am quite intrigued buy videos I have seen of them. My background is primarily with 4 wheelers as I have an '07 Rubicon decked out with trimmings pretty much set up for mud/trail riding. I like the fact that the Pilot seems to be a much safer alternative and sportier.

From a reliability standpoint just how reliable are Pilots? Are they very finicky like most two strokes? Will I have to contend with constant jetting issues? Are they suited for constant trail use as in a full days worth of hard trail riding? Bottom line I want something that I can hop in pretty much whenever and ride; not have to constantly wrench on to keep it running. I do however understand the occasional belt change and whatnot but my biggest concern is its overall reliability being a two-stroke. I live in northwest Tennessee relatively close to Land Between the Lakes so that would be my primary riding place away from home but also live on 150 acres so have plenty of play areas at the house as well. Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you guys.

Steven 8)

Hey Fiveo,
Long time no hear!!!  Last I heard from you, you were looking at the Drakart Tigers....
As for the Pilot, get one....In stock form, they are just as dependable as any other...I usually don't change my jetting from summer to winter....Runs great when cool, and a little rich during summer,but a good medium...As for reliability,I got mine 3 years ago, and the engine had never been re-built since 89...It needed it no doubt, but was still running...I have found that most of the time, these things don't break unless you break them.....
In case you have forgotten, I live in NW TN also....Mckenzie to be exact....I ride at Turkey Bay often, and travel somewhere every few months with some other Piloteers off the forums for weekend rides...It would be great to have a riding partner!!!!!
Hoodlum

Fiveoh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 11:47:37 AM »
:D  Holy cow its Hoodlum. Good to hear from ya man. Yeah the Drakart deal kinda fell through; I had every intention of getting a new tiger and just about had everything finalized with Alain but then some other things came up. At that time I had a highly modified 93 SVT Cobra that a friend of mine was interested in trading me his 67 fastback mustang for. In the end we made the trade and I wound up with an Eleanor project. The purchase of the $20K+ Tiger would have prolonged the 67s restoration into a Gone in 60 Seconds look alike a ton. So now I am in process of tearin car apart and lookin for a different toy instead of Tiger. Another toy I was lookin at is the Polaris RZR. I noticed your on PRC forums as well. How you likin the RZR? Man you have got some nice toys; gonna have to come check em out sometime an let ya check out my Rubicon.

Steven

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Toys
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 12:05:42 PM »
:D  Holy cow its Hoodlum. Good to hear from ya man. Yeah the Drakart deal kinda fell through; I had every intention of getting a new tiger and just about had everything finalized with Alain but then some other things came up. At that time I had a highly modified 93 SVT Cobra that a friend of mine was interested in trading me his 67 fastback mustang for. In the end we made the trade and I wound up with an Eleanor project. The purchase of the $20K+ Tiger would have prolonged the 67s restoration into a Gone in 60 Seconds look alike a ton. So now I am in process of tearin car apart and lookin for a different toy instead of Tiger. Another toy I was lookin at is the Polaris RZR. I noticed your on PRC forums as well. How you likin the RZR? Man you have got some nice toys; gonna have to come check em out sometime an let ya check out my Rubicon.

Steven

Steven,
The RZRis a change for sure....Not as "High performance" as I hoped for, but still very enjoyable and tons of fun....
It is probablya blessing that the Drak deal fell through for you....They are great machines, but way big for trail riding around here....You will enjoy a Pilot MUCH more for LBL and other places around in this area....
Let me know when you plan to ride sometime, and I will hook up with you....Going to GA. to Durhamtown this weekend...Load up and go with us!!!!
Hoodlum

Fiveoh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »
Just a couple more questions if I may. You stated that when you got your Pilot it ran and whatnot but obviously needed a rebuild. Who did the rebuild? When I brought my Rubicon in for the Dynojet jet kit install a couple weeks ago at Abernathy's I asked them about the Pilots and if they had worked on them. They informed me that they can't touch them due to them being over 10 years old. So where around here in NW Tennessee is a good shop for jetting, possible engine work etc? Or is the jetting that easy on the Pilot? Bottom line I essentially have no experience whatsoever with a two-stroke and have always heard the nightmares about them.

If the "performance" standpoint of the RZR is no where near your expectations and no where near the Pilot's performance then I just don't see it fitting the bill for me. Maybe eventually but for now I want something I can toss around, burn some donuts, JUMP etc.

I didn't end up ridin anywhere this weekend but will prolly be at my buddies this comin weekend an whe'll prolly do our normal run through Natchez Trace.

Fiveoh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 01:33:19 PM »
Gimme a holler sometime; would like to get a first hand look at both machines without someone tryin to pitch there sale to me and see what I'm really lookin at. Plus with three years experience I'm sure you know some things to look for.

Cell# is same are code as you. 5145924

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 01:48:57 PM »
Just a couple more questions if I may. You stated that when you got your Pilot it ran and whatnot but obviously needed a rebuild. Who did the rebuild? When I brought my Rubicon in for the Dynojet jet kit install a couple weeks ago at Abernathy's I asked them about the Pilots and if they had worked on them. They informed me that they can't touch them due to them being over 10 years old. So where around here in NW Tennessee is a good shop for jetting, possible engine work etc? Or is the jetting that easy on the Pilot? Bottom line I essentially have no experience whatsoever with a two-stroke and have always heard the nightmares about them.

If the "performance" standpoint of the RZR is no where near your expectations and no where near the Pilot's performance then I just don't see it fitting the bill for me. Maybe eventually but for now I want something I can toss around, burn some donuts, JUMP etc.

I didn't end up ridin anywhere this weekend but will prolly be at my buddies this comin weekend an whe'll prolly do our normal run through Natchez Trace.

The only thing it needed was a top-end which includes a bore, piston and rings....I did it myself with no problems, and that was my first 2 stroke experience.....Just about any bike shop can bore a cylinder for you....
There are some good engine builders associated with the pilot/odyssey world that can do them for you as well.......If someone is a little mechenically inclined, has the right tools and a manual, a complete top and bottom re-build would be no problem.....
Asfor jetting, that is a feel thing....No shop can get it right because it changes with temprature, humidity and other factors....Once you find a happy medium, you won't have to mess with it much unless you are looking for every ounce of h.p., but then you run on the edge of toasting it....It's just a matter of taking the plug out of the bottom of the carb and unscrewing the jet, then screwing another in for the main, and moving a clip and turning a screw for the mid and low....
Just get one, and I will be happy to help....
By the way, I might know where one is if you're intrested....
Hoodlum
Hoodlum

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 06:30:23 PM »
Hoodlum

How about some more details on the RZR...

You've had it long enough now that you should be able to better point out its strengths and weakness...

How about a litst of Pros and Cons

I've been reading everything I can find on them and even talked to a local dealer that has one comming in middle of this month
A depost down and its mine - question is should I buy it ....

I would also be using it around the farm as a utility quad...
Love the built in trailer hitch attachment but the frame back there looks a little weak to me - your thoughts...

PS
I agree thou - Its NOT a pilot replacement...
The optional accessories are sweet....

Thanks
Dennis

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
RZR
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 07:30:19 PM »
Quote from: "FL670R"
Hoodlum

How about some more details on the RZR...

You've had it long enough now that you should be able to better point out its strengths and weakness...

How about a litst of Pros and Cons

I've been reading everything I can find on them and even talked to a local dealer that has one comming in middle of this month
A depost down and its mine - question is should I buy it ....

I would also be using it around the farm as a utility quad...
Love the built in trailer hitch attachment but the frame back there looks a little weak to me - your thoughts...

PS
I agree thou - Its NOT a pilot replacement...
The optional accessories are sweet....

Thanks
Dennis

Dennis,
I'll do my best.....
Pro's
It's got plenty of power for a side x side...I think if it had the acceleration of a Pilot,there would be ALOT of people getting hurt....
It's a very comfortable ride both in the seating and suspension....
Very easy steering and very easy to drive....
It's only 50" wide....
I haven't found anywhere it will fit that it won't go....Climbs very well...
Can carry someone along with you......
Very smooth with very minimal vibration.....

Cons.....
The throttle is touchy and takes some getting used too to keep it from bucking in rough terrain.....
The air intake pulls in dust between the bed and the belt inspection panel, but an easy fix....
It feels kinda tippy to me sometimes, but has never tried to turn over...I think it's mainly because I am used to the Pilot which is more stable and lower C.G......
The reciever hitch is kinda whimpy, but could easily be beefed up.....
Seems that some of the folks having problems are having trouble getting parts right now....I think the part suppliers are barely able to keep up with the production demand, so repair parts are at a minimum right now, but should get better soon.....
The steering is slow...The reason it is so easy to turn is because of such a low ratio in the rack.....It's almost 2 1/2 turns lock to lock, and that really took some getting used too running through the woods with a little speed, but I'm getting better at it........

Would I do it over again? Yep....Without a doubt.....I have wanted a side x side with 4x4 for some time now, but they were all too big and too slow, but the RZR cured both those problems....I think you will enjoy it on the farm and riding with other utility quads....There won't be many of them that will be able to keep up with it......
Some of my favorite times so far are evening rides with one of my daughters creeping through the trails here on our farm.....We have never owned a vehicle that allowed us to do this, and the RZR was a welcomed addition to the toy stable....
Hoodlum

Fiveoh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 06:27:24 PM »
Well Hoodlum; looks like I could be towing a Pilot home this Saturday. I found one in VERY nice condition and the man is holding it for me to come see. From the pics it looks VERY clean. Compression is within range so we'll see how it goes saturday. You might have a ridin buddy here very shortly  :lol:

On a side note: I bought a Pilot service manual just to kinda get acquainted with them a little more before I went looking. In the book it states fuel/oil mixture at 20:1. I thought I've seen where some guys are mixing at 32:1? Also what is everyones opinion on the best two cycle oil to use? Thanks for your time guys and looking forward to joining the Pilot clan.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Pilot
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:43:39 PM »
Well Hoodlum; looks like I could be towing a Pilot home this Saturday. I found one in VERY nice condition and the man is holding it for me to come see. From the pics it looks VERY clean. Compression is within range so we'll see how it goes saturday. You might have a ridin buddy here very shortly  :lol:

On a side note: I bought a Pilot service manual just to kinda get acquainted with them a little more before I went looking. In the book it states fuel/oil mixture at 20:1. I thought I've seen where some guys are mixing at 32:1? Also what is everyones opinion on the best two cycle oil to use? Thanks for your time guys and looking forward to joining the Pilot clan.

That's great!!!! Find one close by or have to travel very far?
As for mixture, I actually mix 40:1, using Amsoil dominator synthetic....20:1 was using those old ancient oils they had back in 1989....They have come a long way since then....You will be fine with 32:1.....

Let's go ride soon!!!!  Let me know if you need any help with anything...
Hoodlum

Fiveoh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 05:47:25 PM »
Anywhere local that sells that Amsoil; Hood? Pilot is about 2.5 to 3 hours away. I reckon I will ride it pretty easy till I can run it by you so you can drive it an make sure everything seems up to par.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Amsoil
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 06:36:35 PM »
Anywhere local that sells that Amsoil; Hood? Pilot is about 2.5 to 3 hours away. I reckon I will ride it pretty easy till I can run it by you so you can drive it an make sure everything seems up to par.

Yep....There's a place here in McKenzie called Johnny's ATV, and he stocks it usually....I also have a distributor that lives close to me that I usually get a gallon at a time from....There is also a couple of connections among the group that we can usually get a decent price from....Only downfall is having to wait for a ride so we can get together with him and get it....By the time you ship it, you can just about buy it anywhere else for the same price....
I will be more than happy to check it out anytime....Give me a shout.....
My # is 693-9381......
Hoodlum