Author Topic: Electrical Experts...I need some pointers  (Read 2656 times)

ed43082

• View Profile
Electrical Experts...I need some pointers
« on: June 05, 2006, 07:55:58 PM »
Ok...after jetting down down down to try to cure my running poorly in the midrange, I decided to check some of my electrical circuits with an ohm meter.

My results per the manual:

1. coil - the primary coil test was within range. the secondary coil test was out of range so I pulled the spare out of my extra parts and both tests were in range so I swapped it out.

2. alternator - tested within range

3. ignition timing at 1300 rpm - aligned right on the F mark

Now I'm not sure with these:

4. pulse generator - 1. where is this located, in the CDI unit? 2. book says resistance in 50-170 ohms. I'm reading 35000 ohms. This is bad I take it.

5. CDI unit - some of the plugs don't even give me a reading.

The book says you need a Sanwa Tester or a Kowa Tester or you may get a false reading on the CDI. Is this true and if so is it also true for the pulse generator that I could be getting a bad reading?

I'm using a Fox Valley 516 Component Analyser tester that I got from an auto auction when a local business closed. It seemed to give the proper reading for the other tests.

Would the CDI have anything to do with getting proper jetting or should I just be looking at fuel/air mixture?

I did an air box mod by cutting 4- 1 inch holes in the lid and attached some air filter material to the inside of the holes to keep some of the dirt out. I am also running a 43 pilot jet and a 145 in the main and the needle is on the second notch from the top.

It runs descent at idle and reving in neutral. Under load it runs like crap almost like it's starving for fuel at take off and up through 3/4 throttle. it spits and sputters. WOT it runs pretty good.

Pull the plug and it is dark like it is running rich. I hate to jet lower and take any chances. I'm thinking of changing out the carb but was wondering if the CDI and Pulse generator (whatever that is) could be causing my problems instead.

I know it is a lot of questions all spread out. Any help sure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Ed

ed43082

• View Profile
Almost forgot...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:07:29 PM »
This is an FL350..that might help.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 05:15:40 AM »
Pulse generator is probably one of the coils in the stator plate.  You should have a charging coil, lighting coil and pulse generator.  If you're getting a spark, it's probably good - they seem to either work or not work.

Check the all grounds to make sure they are good.  A bad ground can cause issues.

Also check the wire harness for chaffing.  Sounds like you might have a line that's grounding out or shorting out.  Happens under vibration.

If nothing else, it's a place to start.

Good luck - electrical gremlins suck.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:31:58 AM »
Sounds like its a little fat low and mid range to me. Try moving the needle to the top groove and see if it clears up.  I have had spark plugs give me fits so if you have another new NGK, swap it in. Maybe try a BR7, a hotter plug might burn the fuel a little better too.

Keep posting info/results!
Gary

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 02:02:25 PM »
Check the plug wire and especially the boot. I have seen more than one bad spark plug boot cause this type of problem. You can unscrew the boot from the plug wire and cut off 1/2" or so off of the wire and reinstall the same boot, or a new boot (make sure it is a resistor type). Try that out before you get to far into a bunch of other stuff.

Weed

• View Profile
coil wire
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 02:44:52 PM »
I had the same thing happen to my 350.  It was the coil and the boot.  It would fire and run at WOT and that was about it.  If I let it idle too long it would just foul the plug in a matter of five minutes.  

Does your plug have black crap on the porcelin when you take off the plug wire?  Like a black dust....  If so your boot is your culprit it is allowing your current excape and not making your spark where it is needed.

Weed

• View Profile
forgot
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 02:51:50 PM »
I forgot to mention this...

It would not be your CDI, because the way it is made it either works or it dosen't.  You couldn't idle or run at WOT if your CDI was bad....

ed43082

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 08:16:39 PM »
It idles fine. It just acts like it is bogging under load at 1/4 - 3/4 throttle. Smokes a bit more in this range too.  I'm running a BR9ES plug. I'm going to pick up a couple 7's and 8's tomorrow at the Iron Pony. I picked up a couple more ranges of jets tonight so I'll try some plug chops to see if I can dial the flat spots out this weekend. I bought a 42 slow and a 150 main. That gives me a range of slow of 42, 43, 45 and mains of 143, 145, and 150. I have 1 more groove on the needle I can go up if needed also.

I'm thinking of removing the stock air box. It's a bear to try to adjust with using the stock box. Maybe go with the K&N with Outerwear to keep out the water. It had a similar setup on it when I bought it but the filter was a standard cone filter they had on it like you would get from AutoZone or somewhere. I had this great idea of going back to stock with everything when I was putting it back together. I don't know why when I did all the other mods just so I could ride it.

The plug boot looks good on both the old coil and the replacement I put on. I had the guy at the parts desk at Iron Pony look at it too and he agreed with me that the boot probably isn't the problem.
See where I get this weekend and I'll keep you posted.

ed43082

• View Profile
We're much better...
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 08:45:46 PM »
Ok we are pretty good now. I don't think it's electrical any more. I think I was just running a little fat.

I raised the needle to the 2nd notch from the top. I left the 145 main in it. I took off the stock air box and added the snorkle hose and air filter it had on it when I first bought it. Air filter is similar to a K&N. I think I will go ahead and buy the K&N to fit the snorkle pipe I have with a couple drycharger covers and just run that in the future. You can see the snorkle pipe on my home page in the frame mod pics.

I also put a BR8ES plug in it. The BR9ES I had in it was pretty wet and fouled.

I took it for a spin around the yard and it was still lacking in the midrange and smoking like it was still running fat in the midrange. Pulled it into the garage and had the kid drop the pilot jet down from a 43 to a 42.

I took it for another spin and it still wasn't responding like it should. Pulled it into the garage and had the kid take the plug out. He said he didn't have the snorkle pipe on good enough and it had disconnected from the carb. Hooked it back up and tightened it down real good this time. Tied it to the cross member this time too. Checked the plug and it was light brown this time and a little wet. Cleaned it off and stuck the plug back in.

I took it for one more spin whith everything hooked up correctly this time and whoaaaa!!! It was wicked fast. Took it down the street and out the yard. Backed it in the garage, put it in forward, and it spun the tires all the way across the garage and out the door. Hit the gravel with rooster tails flying. Kid wasn't to happy. He just swept the garage out today for nothing. He will need to do it again tomorrow now...ha ha ha.

I will do plug chops tomorrow if it isn't raining to make sure we aren't running to lean now. I'll have it ready for the camping trip next weekend. My buddies girl is having her graduation party. Should be a real hoot.

Next...I'll need to tackle that play in the steering. I think I might need to replace the tie rod ends....Never ending story...

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 08:55:06 PM »
Glad to hear you got it! If it was good wide open, that tells me the main was right. It idled fine so that tells me the pilot jet and the air screw are right. Mid range is mostly needle taper and clip position and sounds like you found the sweet spot.

Moskito has a very good jetting info page with charts on his Yellowdog website. Might be worth reading too.

If you have trouble with steering and tie rods, start another post and tell us what is going on.

Again, Congrats on the fix!