Author Topic: 350 fuel sensor install  (Read 1672 times)

nuke em

• View Profile
350 fuel sensor install
« on: May 06, 2006, 09:30:11 PM »
I installed the fuel sensor today to the 350/420s tank. Pretty easy and quick(30 minutes). It is a simple switch that completes the circuit when the fuel level drops to the last 1/4 tank or so. The Polaris tach has an idiot light in it that says FUEL. Thats good enough for me. The factory rear tank guard has a hole that I used to run the wires out, and its just at the right spot too(1/4 way up from the bottom). :wink:

I'll leak test it tomorrow. I also installed some acorn nuts on the head today too. I'll check it for water leak tomorrow also. I need to build an instrument panel and mount the guages. Maybe even get a first ride in on her! Hope the "Honey Do" list is small tomorrow. LOL

nuke em

• View Profile
350 fuel sensor install
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 09:33:21 PM »
Pictures came out backwards again Lude, last one I posted is the first one pictured. Oh well, you will get the idea. :mrgreen:

PilotHawK

• View Profile
350 fuel sensor install
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 09:37:21 PM »
Great stuff....you are a brave sould welding on a fuel tank! Problem with welding on galvanized is that when the gavanized (zinc) coating burns off it releases VERY toxic chemicals into the air...not good for breathing (I'm sure you saw the nice yellow smoke, right). Next time try grinding the galvanized layer off before you weld.

Hope the acorn nuts fix the head leak!

nuke em

• View Profile
350 fuel sensor install
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 03:30:35 PM »
Oh the tank was very dry. I emptied it last fall and left the cap off so it completely dried out this winter.

Several hours after I filled it, it oozed fuel some, can't tell where yet. Its not even enough to drip(yet) so I guess I'll try to epoxy, JB, RTV it after I get the fuel level run down below the sensors level. Any suggestions?