Author Topic: Limiting Straps  (Read 3378 times)

Fed

• View Profile
Limiting Straps
« on: April 19, 2006, 12:23:25 PM »
Well it's getting almost time to ride and I really need to get crackin' on fabbing up some limiting straps for the rear end.  

(For those not aware, if/when you snap an axle, the risk of bending the crap out of your rear shock is also high.  This actually happened to me and my Works shock out at LS last May.  To remedy this, some have made limiting straps that only let the swingarm travel so far, thus saving the shocks.)

Who has done this?  How did they do it?  What did they use?  And of course, i MUST have pics.  Thanks.  Fed
Opportunity is missed by most, because it\'s dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ludedude

• View Profile
Limiting Straps
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 08:42:23 AM »
Sorry bud, never used them  :?  :(

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Re: Limiting Straps
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 10:00:56 AM »
Quote from: "Fed"
Who has done this?  How did they do it?  What did they use?  And of course, i MUST have pics.  Thanks.  Fed

You want I go copy pictures and text
Or
You want I just do a linky thingy to my reply??  (I know how to make it a small linky!!)   :shock:  :lol:

Or, I can do both!!!!

Buaaahaaahaaa!!!  (egad, too much coffee!!)  :shock:

Limiting strap - so leaving any slack in the system's not going to limit the shock travel...

Pick the 350 up off the ground so the suspension's at full droop and then install the limiting straps and adjust them so they are just taunt. The nylon strap is going to stretch a little bit before it stops suspension travel.

Do Works Shocks have top out springs in them? (some shocks do). If so, they you would want to adjust for the minor extension over fully extended droop that they would allow - then again, it may be just the right amount to cover the minor stretch the limiting straps would have.

Most of the limiting straps I've seen are on larger (heavy) off road cars and some sand cars. They usually have one end that looks similar to the end of a safety harness that attaches to the frame - triangular piece with a hole for a bolt. The other end will look the same but instead of a hole, it will have a threaded rod that goes through a hole on the suspension. This threaded rod is usually about 3" long or so and allows for adjusting the slack out of the system. - you can see the rod end in the first pic below

Use a small bungie cord that runs from the frame somewhere to the middle of the limiting strap - this way, as the suspension compresses, the strap is pulled out of the way and doesn't end up getting bound up in the suspension, shock or the axle.

I'm guessing you can run a bungie from the front mount of the suspension back to the strap - that should pull the strap forward and out of harm's way
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Fed

• View Profile
Limiting Straps
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 11:11:57 AM »
Those work for the over-extension of the shocks, but what I need is the side to side limiters for when a U-joint breaks and the swingarm moves out (thus wrapping the shock around it).   :wink:
Opportunity is missed by most, because it\'s dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Toyman

• View Profile
350 limiter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 12:37:24 AM »
I've finally read this post on three boards now. I'll post the setup I put on my 350s tomarrow. Its' simply a cable limiter.
Toyman

nuke em

• View Profile
Limiting Straps
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 12:55:23 AM »
Thanks Toyman. I was sure someone runs them. Just want  to see how others did thiers before attempting it. Some pictures would be helpful if you have them too.

Thanks

Toyman

• View Profile
Limit Straps
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 10:38:08 PM »
Here is a picture of what I hope will save me from recieving a bent shock  if I loose an axle.
Toyman

Fed

• View Profile
Limiting Straps
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 05:48:41 PM »
Thanks Toyman, that's what I was looking for.  I built these out of nylon strap (from an extra tie-down I had laying around), before I got to see your pics.  If these should break, I'll go with the cable.

For those that want to fab up something, I've included "how-to" pics.  Feel free to ask questions.
Enjoy!   :D
Fed

Toyman

• View Profile
Straps
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 08:56:47 AM »
Not trying to be critical of your design Fed but the upper mounting location will still allow the joint to roll out & bend your shock in the event of axle failure. Also I think you may need more slack in this to get full shock compression. My idea has been untested and may fail to but it was the best design I could come up with. I've seen rigid links tried that caused binding in the suspension.
Toyman

Fed

• View Profile
Limiting Straps
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 01:41:04 PM »
No offense taken.  (I'm hard to offend)   8)

The picture is a little deceiving....there's actually slack in that strap, you just can't see it.   I went riding the dunes with it this past Saturday and noticed no "weird" stuff with the suspension.  I'll keep an eye on it.

I don't understand how mounting to the upper versus the lower, will still allow the arm to move out.  :?:

Toyman

• View Profile
Strap
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 11:35:25 PM »
I don't have any engineering degree but I think it gives more resistance to pulling from a lower attachment point. The top may offer enough though. I hope I never get to test it out. The Skeeter should be able to figure this one out.
Toyman

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Re: Strap
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 10:43:18 AM »
Quote from: "Toyman"
The Skeeter should be able to figure this one out.
Uh-oh.  Looks like I'm being dragged into something...

Take the shock off, and cycle the suspension thru from full droop to full compression.

Measure the distance change from the two points you have the strap attached to at the limits of suspension movement.

They need to stay close to the same distance. - I'm guessing that the distance is going to increase quite a bit at full compression.  That's gonna be stretching that strap.

The more you can get the limiters to parallel the axle the better.

Nylon's gonna stretch a bunch - especially when you end up putting a nasty load (broken parts) on that suspension arm.  Probably why you're not noticing anything.

Using steel cable is probably better - but make sure it parallels the axle.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'