Author Topic: XR Tag makes his debut  (Read 987 times)

PilotHawK

• View Profile
XR Tag makes his debut
« on: August 27, 2005, 10:13:33 AM »
Thanks to the guys (especially the ones who brought their families to the CC ride) in the p-o community and constant nagging on my part the wife finally relented, and let me get Tag a bike. We decided a good starter bike would be an XR80. Zoomer just happened to have a cherry 2002 XR80 with some riding gear for sale, and we jumped on it. I was worried at first that the bike might be a little too much for him, but Tag quickly put my worries to rest!

We/I decided on the XR80 becuae it was just a little too big for him right now, but like all 9 year olds he's growing like a weed. I also wanted him to learn on a bike with a clutch. He had his first ride today around the back yard, and he did pretty well. I was surprised at how well he handled the gas/clutch operation in order to make the bike go. The clutch/brake to stop was a little bit of a challenge at though, but after making him start and stop about 30 times he seems to be getting the hang of it. Changing gears is gonna come later. I want him to be able to handle the bike fairly well before adding the dimension of changing gears and more speed.

I'm hoping we'll be able to make the Durhamtown Plantation ride in October. The place is perfect for riders of all levels, and is extremely amenity friendly as far as places for riders to go.