Author Topic: Rebuild bottom end  (Read 1353 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Rebuild bottom end
« on: June 06, 2005, 11:59:22 AM »
I'm in the process of rebuilding a couple bottom ends and thought I'd share what I did.

I had suspicions of the integretity of the case halves and did not want to go through the process of installing the crank, only to find out later, the lower end leaks.

I turned 2 aluminum plugs on the lathe to fit the crank seals. I held the one in with the case splitter tool I had made, and the other I held in with tie wraps (hey it worked :p). Then bolted the cylinder on. I turned a plug for the intake, installed that. Plugged the pulse line, and bolted on an exhaust block off plate I made with an air gauge, and air nipple on it.

Worked well ;) I want to make a bracket that bolts to the clutch side case half to hold that plug in...there's threaded holes alreadt there on either side to allow for this..sweet And probably make a simplier bracket for the stator side to use instead of the case splitter.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Rebuild bottom end
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 04:15:20 AM »
That's a pretty cool idea.

How about just making a shoulder on the plugs so they can't go squirting out of the cases?

You can insert from the inside, shoulder catches on the seals and once you get enough pressure behind it all, POP go the seals out of the cases and across the room.  :D
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
Rebuild bottom end
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 06:07:47 AM »
POP go the seals out of the cases and across the room.

:P  Already had the carb boot one let go at 10psi and fire across the shop...glad I wasn't inspecting the reed cage for leaks at the time  :shock:

<doctor> "how'd you get that black eye and gash?"
<stupid me> "stupid me!"

:roll:

Install clamp on boot next time  :P

Him...I have shoulders on the plugs...wonder if they'll fit from inside?? Kewl! I think the seals will take more than 10 psi to push them out.... I think  :lol:

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Rebuild bottom end
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 08:39:47 AM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
:P  Already had the carb boot one let go at 10psi and fire across the shop...glad I wasn't inspecting the reed cage for leaks at the time  :shock:
<doctor> "how'd you get that black eye and gash?"
<stupid me> "stupid me!"
 :roll:
Install clamp on boot next time  :P

ROFLMAO!!!!  I did exactly the same thing.  Squirt a little air into the top of the jug and POP, followed by the sound of a Delrin puck hitting a sheet metal wall...  WTF??? WOW!!!

Quote from: "ludedude"
Him...I have shoulders on the plugs...wonder if they'll fit from inside?? Kewl! I think the seals will take more than 10 psi to push them out.... I think  :lol:

Weeeelllll there ya go!

Why do I hear a pop in your future?
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'