Author Topic: fl250 ignition coil  (Read 8547 times)

old school honda dude

• View Profile
fl250 ignition coil
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:53:36 AM »
The ignition coil on my 1980 has failed the test my clymer manual said to perform.  It is not the stock coil, it is a Hanshin HA-50J AC and i can not find any information on it :?: , i was wondering if anyone has heard of or can find any information on this brand of coil, any help is much appreciated.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fl250 ignition coil
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:06:32 PM »
I searched as well and didn't come up with anything....Any ac coil with the correct ohm and voltage should work....Does it have an external condensor or is it built into the coil?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
fl250 ignition coil
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 11:02:36 AM »
Is this the coil that the spark plug wire is attached to or the stator coil? There are aftermarket stator coils available for the FL250. I used to list them, never sold one. I heard they were often bad right out of the box so I pulled them from my site. If the other one, as Hoodlum pointed out for the other coil, you should be able to use one from many other ATVs. Knowing the specs from the Clymer manual should help you find one.

old school honda dude

• View Profile
fl250 ignition coil
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:45:14 PM »
i have been wrestling it more today, i robbed a coil with an external condenser (similar to the one i was using before) from another 1980 250 that i sold to a friend that is still running and now i get a nice intemitent spark, ive have tryed wigling and pulling all the wires, i am getting voltage all the way to the plug wire where the spark plug is inserted, i have replaced and properly adjusted the points (i built the timing light that is mentioned in the clymer manual) i have temporarily eliminated the old original switches, and i have ran through the wiring so many times i am ready to pull my hair out. i am using a good digital multi meter, i consistantly get 1.67 volts(DC) at the plug wire, and i get a range of .49 to 1.37 volts (DC) from the stator wires everytime i pull the cord. i have tryed 7 plugs (br8es) 4 new, 3 used and i have tested all 7 of them in my snowmobile and they have a nice blue spark. i have picked through both the clymer and honda shop manual and i have no where else to turn to.

old school honda dude

• View Profile
fl250 ignition coil
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
well, i just went out in the shop and took tryed every plug cap i have, nothing, all the plugs are still gaped correctly (just gauged them out and they were already gapped correctly) i even tried closing and opening the gap, when i take off the plug caps and ground it on the head i get spark, that is why i went through 5 different caps and it appears that they all are screwing in the wire correctly, i also tryed trimming down to fresh wire

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fl250 ignition coil
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:46:26 PM »
Quote from: "old school honda dude"
well, i just went out in the shop and took tryed every plug cap i have, nothing, all the plugs are still gaped correctly (just gauged them out and they were already gapped correctly) i even tried closing and opening the gap, when i take off the plug caps and ground it on the head i get spark, that is why i went through 5 different caps and it appears that they all are screwing in the wire correctly, i also tryed trimming down to fresh wire

Have you tried a new wire? It could be broken between the coil and plug....

old school honda dude

• View Profile
fl250 ignition coil
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »
i havn't tryed that yet, ill try that out tomorow, i have a new roll of some good plug wire somewere. just out of curiosity, do you know what voltage is required to make a spark plug spark?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fl250 ignition coil
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 08:13:34 AM »
Quote from: "old school honda dude"
i havn't tryed that yet, ill try that out tomorow, i have a new roll of some good plug wire somewere. just out of curiosity, do you know what voltage is required to make a spark plug spark?

Not sure on the voltage....Does this model have points or cdi?

old school honda dude

• View Profile
fl250 ignition coil
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »
12 volt points