Author Topic: Axle question fl350  (Read 6054 times)

x.system

Axle question fl350
« on: December 20, 2004, 02:56:42 PM »
Well I got this fl350 running perfect, fixed the starter, fuel pump and it starts and runs great now but I noticed its got one new axle and one old axle in it and the old axle needs new u joints. Question is do I have to buy a complete axle assembly or can I change out the joints? I looked on service honda and it looks like I have to buy the complete axle assembly, also should I go new or used and where is the best price to get these? Anyone got an extra laying around?

PilotHawK

• View Profile
Axle question fl350
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 08:32:32 PM »
Hillside honda. 707 263 9000. Ask for the pilot-odyssey good guy discount. In my opinion it is worth it to get the reliabily of the new axle. It will cost more, but many others' experiences with "cheap" u-joints is that they fail. Often in the first few minutes of use. Along with the failure of the u-joint people lose shocks and damage other things on their rides. If you decide to go the u-joint route. I think Randy at www.odysseysalvage.com has some that are supposed to work.

pchiarizio

Axle question fl350
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 08:24:19 AM »
I can actually help out on this one, just went through this with help from other board members and Randy at Odyssey Salvage.

I got an FL350R a few months ago and have slowly been going through it.  It runs, but I was told it went through many u-joints on the right rear, the outer one not the inner one near the tranny.  First I found that the previous owner was using u-joints with grease zerks - these are weaker.  So I got the stock u-joints (from OS) with no zerks but it still broke.  Upon closer inspection, the holes in the ears of the yoke for the drive shaft are oval, elongated, from wear and tear.  This caused the cap of the u-joint to get squished out of shape and fracture.  I could see this when I put a u-joint cap through the hole in the yoke ear and saw daylight on the two ends around the cap (hope I'm explaining this right).  The cap was clearly round and the hole was clearly oval.  So for me the only answer was a new axle, yes they're expensive and hard to come by but about 8 u-joints = 1 axle in cost, and much more in inconvenience.

On the left side there is what has been described to me as an aftermarket axle which is cast not forged (I think that's right) and the c-clips holding the u-joint cap in the hole are on the INSIDE of the yoke ear and cap not inside the ear and outside the cap if you know what I mean.  I don't know where these aftermarket axles come from but this one hasn't broken a u-joint in quite some time (can tell by the rust) even though it has a small bolt in the center of the u-joint where a grease zerk should be.  I decided to replace this axle also.

There may have been other issues such as bent shocks (like an upside down candy cane!), big rear tires (say they're the right size but they just look more ballooned, Duro Excavators?) or a slightly bent radius arm (A few degrees, just enough to toe out the rear wheel a half-inch) that affected the u-joint, but since I've replaced the axle and shocks nothing has broke despite a slightly toed-out rear wheel due to a bent radius arm.

Next I have to fight with the carburetor, gas is pouring out the overflow tubes.  Yay.

tsutton44

Axle question fl350
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 09:28:21 AM »
Your best bet is to buy the new axle set.Most if not all the u-joints out there for this aplication will not work and will usually break within the hour of install,like pilothawk has previously talked about.
Usually like pchiarizio has experienced the yokes will oval out when there is a loose or wore out u-joint and when things come loose back there a lot of damage is bound to happen.Think of having to replace a 250.00 works shock besides another radious arm,bearing holder w/bearings and seals ,fuel tank and or tranny (if they get damaged)plus the added cost of the honda axle set that should have been installed in the first place.
Think of it this way too,you will not have to replace the new axle set again probably for as long as you own the buggy or 8-10 years,maybe even longer.
I paid just about 600.00 for my set and if i wasnt in such a hurry could have gotten them for much less (400.00 ?) ,but at least it is one more item on the buggy i will not have to worry about for a long long time.
Randy at odysseysalvge was supposed to have oem u-joints for the fl350 but as far as i know they are not available from honda.
Randy is a great guy and will not steer you wrong,if the u-joints he has work thats great but you also have to consider that when you have the axle yokes ovaled out from wear,it is not going to matter which joint you put in there because it is going to go bad very quickly anyway,and then  you risk the other damage happening again and go all thru the work and headache again,when you could be out riding if it were done the first time correctly instead of trying to save a few bucks.
These toys are not cheap and not everyone has the extra dough to keep them in top condition but if you do things right the first time around,they will stay together for a long time to come .
Unless of course you are over riding the buggy's capabilities and jumping 30 foot in the air  :lol:

tsutton44

Axle question fl350
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 09:34:42 AM »
hey Lude,pic showing on your end ?It's not coming up for me.

x.system

Axle question fl350
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 02:31:11 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm still not sure which way I am going to go, I need to consider how much I really plan to use this thing. I really havn't even rode it, maybe 20 minutes tops since I bought it a few months ago. I picked it up on a whim, thought it would be nice to have around and maybe someday restore but my 250r collection is my main priority and it looks like the 350 will more than likely just sit more than anything else.

ludedude

• View Profile
Axle question fl350
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 03:33:08 PM »
Yup Tim, I see the pic

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
U-Joints
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 03:57:54 PM »
I have a source for U-joints that says he will guarantee them not to break. Personally, I will still go with a complete axle, but if interested, send me an email to sales@aftershockmotorsports.com

I don't want to try them but would be interested to hear the results of someone else trying them.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
Rebuilt axels
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 05:35:32 AM »
I have a set of rebuilt axels with OEM cross referenced "U" joints for $300.00 plus shipping.  They have good yokes. I replaced the joints before they broke. That is the only way to have a good axel when done. If the joint breaks then the axel is scrap due to distorsion. I rebuilt these for my 350 and sold it so I no longer need them. The supplier claims that he has had a set of these "U" joints in his buggy for 5 years without a break.
cyclefab@aol.com