Author Topic: Fl350 from the dead to on the road to dead in about 3 hrs of riding  (Read 568 times)

Woodsbob209

• I am bob
    • View Profile
Bought a water filled fl350 got it going was told it took 50:1 mix on the fuel. It ran over the period of two weeks with short runs around the neighborhood thirty minutes of runtime max at once. Then boom no compression. Neighbor told me it’s because it needed a 20:1 mixture or an “older” type of 2 stroke oil. Idk what that means but I’m 1200 into it before it blew and I’ve had it bored and bought the piston and everything I could from different online venders. I really don’t want to screw this up I want it to be brought back to its glory and to run for years to come or at least till I get bored of it to pass it on. So I had it bored 81.5 then had the bought the wiesco 81.5 piston I could not  tell if the bottom end need to be rebuilt so I said screw it I’ll send it to a shop and have them handle it. After finding out how much more money I’m gonna have to pay a dude to do the work I figured I’d make it to where he balances and sets the crank shaft right. As of doing so the fly wheel and starter sprocket ( if that’s what’s it’s called🥴) we’re heavily rusted to the point where the metal has deep pitting. Idk what to do and do t want to feel like I threw a huge chunk of money into the garage please help
Hell ya

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Fl350 from the dead to on the road to dead in about 3 hrs of riding
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 07:52:58 PM »
Pictures would help to see if the parts are too rusted. I see in another post that you might be near Derek Tissinger. I would advise taking it to him if you are. He will also have used parts if needed.

I run 32:1 with a full synthetic 2 stroke oil. The 20:1 was based on lower quality oils. My biggest concern would be if the crank is rusted where the seals ride. That would tear up the seals quickly. It will suck air and blow up. If it started and ran, I am thinking the ring gear and flywheel are decent enough to continue using. As for used parts, the case halves are usually more rare than the other parts.

Woodsbob209

• I am bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 09:49:37 PM »
Crank seems to have a little rust but the flywheel n parts connected took the brunt of the damage I might have a before pic somewhere cause it was bad before I wire wheeled it. It ran for a hand full of hrs like I said but looking back I remember there being a pretty bad oscillating at higher rpm n speed. I tried to upload the pics from my iPhone with no luck I’ll try from the wife’s computer later on
Hell ya

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 10:23:10 AM »
The part on the crank that would be a problem is the lower crank pin. That in replaced with a rebuild. If the flywheel comes off, it should be fine. Crank cases are the most rare parts since a broken piston takes them out. Cranks can often be rebuilt after that. You could possibly find a bottom end on eBay then sell your case halves and end up not down much.

Woodsbob209

• I am bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 10:02:55 PM »
here are some pics i just took
Hell ya

Woodsbob209

• I am bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 10:08:48 PM »
lol now i see how to add more than one pic lower pin  is fine i just am not sure if the play is out of spec so i m gonna take it to the local moto guy and have him rebuild it

Hell ya

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 04:37:17 PM »
They are probably fine

Woodsbob209

• I am bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 01:29:07 AM »
Well after the drama we call life had died down I’m back to the fl350. All is machined piston/bearings/ seals/etc for the motor has been purchased except for the bottom end rod bearing. Can’t seem to find it anywhere along with the dowel pins that connect the top end to the crank case (machinist tossed um) 😑 any help would be greatly appreciated. For now I’ve mounted a predator 420 using all the stock mounts and holes as to not destroy the hopes of the original motor being put back in. More details on that coming later
Hell ya