Author Topic: SUSPENSION UPGRADES  (Read 3258 times)

fl350

SUSPENSION UPGRADES
« on: November 04, 2004, 09:02:44 AM »
ANYONE OUT THERE EVER DONE A LONG TRAVEL REAR SUSPENSION? IF SO DID YOU BUILD YOUR OWN TRAILING ARMS? WHAT DID YOU USE FOR AXLES? SHOCKS? I AM PLANNING ON DOING  A-ARM FRONT SUSPENSION, THATS NOT A PROBLEM. THE REAR IS THE PROBLEM  ONLY BECAUSE OF THE REAR AXLES. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT........

ALSO ANYONE KNOW THE  HP RATING OF A STOCK FL350 ENGINE?

macdanny

SUSPENSION UPGRADES
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 07:26:28 AM »
Contact Livewire . He has some information on this subject        http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Suspension
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 04:11:35 PM »
I think you will find the front is much more complicated than you might think. Just welding mounts on the frame where they will line up with some quad A-arms is not going to give you the handling you might hope for. You will need an anti bump steer setup so the tie rods do not hit the frame. That is something optional with a Pilot, but not on the 350 unless you cut out the lower frame tube and move it up. Getting the steering geometry right is tricky.

To get a significant amount of travel, basically the entire rear supension, axles, hubs, bearing carriers, etc needs to be replaced. I believe I can get 12-13" of travel without making the machine wider.

I am working on one machine that I had the axles lengthened by 3" each. I made spacers to move the front of the trailing arms out 3" as well. They are braced to to frame in a couple places. The shock mounts on the frame are moved up and out. It looks like this setup will get about 10" of travel.

An FL350 was supposed to be 32HP before the recall and 27 after.