Author Topic: K&N Air Filter Part numbers.....  (Read 1937 times)

pilotdude

K&N Air Filter Part numbers.....
« on: July 27, 2004, 06:38:55 PM »
I have been thinking that I am going to try out a new intake system to my pilot. So does anyone have the part numbers for the K&n filter used in the desert kit, and the part number for the uni wrap that some have used to fit over the k&n. Im going to use the same set-up skeeters uses in the desert car...k&n-uni wrap-water proof outerwear. I will also be using a new intake manifold, and will be trying out differnt lenghts to see what works best..........

PD

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Re: K&N Air Filter Part numbers.....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 07:30:06 PM »
Quote from: "pilotdude"
I have been thinking that I am going to try out a new intake system to my pilot. So does anyone have the part numbers for the K&n filter used in the desert kit, and the part number for the uni wrap that some have used to fit over the k&n. Im going to use the same set-up skeeters uses in the desert car...k&n-uni wrap-water proof outerwear. I will also be using a new intake manifold, and will be trying out differnt lenghts to see what works best..........

PD

If you know the size of the intake, you can pick your own filter type and size from the K & N Filter website. Here's the link:

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm

Good luck!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 08:22:40 PM »
go here and start reading about the k&n desert filter. http://www.dirtcheapracing.com/tech/airfilter/

pilotdude

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 09:37:16 AM »
Yes big tom did have a problem with his, but like I said mine will be set-up differntly. However, many quad's use a open k&n with no problems, moskito never had a problem on the dez, and he go's through a lot worse stuff in one race then I usally do my entire time out....PD

bigtom

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 05:43:16 AM »
I ran my KN filter with a Uni outer wrap and a water resistant(not proof!  :D    ) outerware. I ran a Fud race and inspected things when I got home. There was still some grit passing through and thats when I decided to go with an all foam filter. The KN is fine for someone driving on pavement but ANYTHING used in the dirt will suffer long term from the KN.

"many quad's use a open k&n with no problems" wanna bet?   :shock:

Skito does run that setup and I am believe he passes some dirt through his motor.

It is a matter of choice- slightly more air flow for considerably shorter engine life

Or, slightly less air flow and longer engine life.

Good luck!

tsutton44

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 08:12:34 AM »
hey big tom,hows things going ?just wanted to say thanks for the help and everything out at Stone city Ranch in case you didnt get a chance to see the post i put in on one of the boards  :shock: I just got back online not long ago so i am not sure if you saw it or not.I posted some pics of the race and had a great time,thanks to all the POOA group that attended.evn though i didnt run well,next time! Thanks to Kiowa,pilothawk,big tom,moskito,shifter,radical,stoneman,odypilot,and last but not least Phil-ptrailking.

pilotdude

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 09:36:40 AM »
So Big Tom, how has all foam uni been runing? You got me curious now. Are you just running the uni, or do you have a wrap on it? Do you still have part numbers?

PD

bigtom

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 08:13:35 PM »
Tsutton- yep, saw the post, been real busy as of late so not much online stuff for me. Hope I can make another race up there soon...

There is no part #; The Uni filters I have were made special for me. I called up the tech guys with my specs and they had them to me in a few weeks. $24 each and they work just great. I run the ATVR desert flow kit. The only thing I actaully use from the kit is the thin tube adaptor for joining the filter and airbox boot together. The rest of the kit is worthless, including the KN they give you.

They are a dual foam setup. Bascially a foam sock with an outer layer that is removable. I run an Outers outer wrap on them to keep off the big stuff. They flow fine and filter great.....

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 05:46:20 AM »
I have been running the K&N - Unifilter wrap - Outerwears combination -  basically use the K&N as a frame to hold the Uniflilter.  I constantly keep an eye on it - so far I have not found anything detectable getting past this setup.  
I am interested in the special Unifilter though. The reason I stayed with the K&N as shell was to be able to stabilize the filter assembley at top - using the stud on the K&N.  Is the filter you had made the same size as the K&N?  Are you stabilizing the top?  How?  Have a pic?  Did you have to jet down when you went to the Unifilter?

Thanks

pilotdude

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 08:52:43 AM »
Big Tom can you post a pic of your set-up. It sounds pretty in expensive..ilike it. How long is your air filter? Do you still have the number for the tech guy?

PD

ogopogo

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 08:44:56 PM »
I would also like to know more about this uni setup so i can get one myself.