Author Topic: EGT  (Read 4495 times)

spynergy

EGT
« on: July 01, 2004, 09:55:05 PM »
Thought this thread belonged in a topic of its own so here goes...
What distance away from the cylinder jug should an EGT sensor be mounted?  I've heard between 5 and 7 inches on average ( :lol: couldn't help but laugh at that).  What has anyone's experience been?

Thanks
John

ludedude

• View Profile
EGT
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 05:54:50 AM »
I mounted mine 6" from the exhaust face of the piston.

spynergy

readings
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 10:00:12 AM »
I know your water cooled engine will be slightly different, but what are your readings like at idle, half throttle, full throttle

are they consistent with the plug chops?

spynergy

off topic
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 10:03:29 AM »
by the way ludedude, have you ever seen the video clip of someone jumping over the cameraman in an odyssey/pilot

it's on a webpage of its own and I can't seem to find it again no matter what I google

i think whoever was driving is paraplegic (paralyzed from the waist down).  do you know of such a person besides me who posts on this board?

ludedude

• View Profile
EGT
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 11:18:50 AM »
I have seen that video....can't rember either where it was :|

Sorry I'm not sure who else may be a paraplegic that post...I know between the 3 boards there are more....it just slips me right now who.

My EGT reads ~500 at idle......I think my mid is leaner than WOT....if I keep it pinned it 'll read ~1200-1250...if I let off even a bit it'll go higher, but I let off.

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
egt
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 03:24:25 PM »
If you buy a Digatron the literature will tell you to mount it as close as possible to the jug. It is kind of like a torch, the closer you are to the tip the hotter it is. The further away the the heat dissapates and you wont get as accurate of reading. you want to know how hot that fire is comming off the piston. Hey lude i think your idle and mid are lean it should be about 350 to 400.

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Re: off topic
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 04:07:47 PM »
Quote from: "spynergy"
by the way ludedude, have you ever seen the video clip of someone jumping over the cameraman in an odyssey/pilot

it's on a webpage of its own and I can't seem to find it again no matter what I google

i think whoever was driving is paraplegic (paralyzed from the waist down).  do you know of such a person besides me who posts on this board?

Here's the link to that video spynergy:

http://members.aol.com/phase2er/pilot.mpeg

Enjoy!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

spynergy

nice
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 04:28:59 PM »
thanks PilotSniper, that's the one.  I love that video, I don't know who the crazy ass camerman was but he's really got a set of big brass ones.  I came across that vid by accident and it's the whole reason I got interested in this sport.  how far away is your egt sensor?  readings?

cwwiedmaier -- what distance away is your sensor?  also what are your readings at idle, 1/2, full and do you have an odyssey or a pilot?

MassOdy -- i'd like to know the same from you if you would...  especially since you have a 350 like me.

Thanks!

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
egt
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 06:35:27 PM »
@idle between 350-400, 1/2 throttle around 800-1000, and full for a short period of time 1200-1250. When I installed the digatron I put the probe about 2 inches from the jug. When installing the probe just remember when drilling not to drill into the manifold, just down on the pipe a little ways. And put it on the side or the underneith side of the pipe so that the springs wont be in the way. Oh ya I have a fl350 and a fl250. I hope this helps.

spynergy

Danke schoen
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 04:13:14 PM »
Thanks for the information, it's good responses like yours that really help a greenpea like me.  :D

tsutton44

EGT
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 08:10:20 AM »
first spynergy,how far are you from cheraw sc.? my egt on my fl350 is not a digitron ,wish it was but my probe is set at about 5 " away from the piston.I am thinking though i need to investigate it further.from what i have been told the probe should be located at or just beyond the wet area in the pipe,so that the pipe should be inspected to see how far the actuall fuel is still staying on the wet side and the probe inserted there.my temps now are around 400 at idle and mid at around 1000 with the wot at about 1250+ and spikes to 1350 or so if you get off it at full throttle momentarily.The plug chops do not dictate this though and they or it still appears a tad on the rich side.so i am just going to go for now on the plug chops.

ludedude

• View Profile
EGT
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 12:17:46 PM »
DO NOT..DO NOT go by other users readings to jet your machine. You can use them as a ball park, but you must do plug chops and determine what the temperature is when you're jetted spot on. Then you can use the EGT to jet for varying conditions, and/or modifications. Each machine is different and will give different readings. If you do a WOT plaug chop and you still see a tan to dark plug 1350 for you is fine, where 1350 for me would mean rebuild city ;)

5" from the face of the piston should give you accurate readings...that does not mean the saem as mine. Just means you're not too close to be reading actual combustion temps that may escape before the exhaust port is totally closed. Too far awayt and it's actually cooling before you get the reading.

macdanny

EGT
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 06:18:55 PM »
I just have an egt on my 350 and at idle I couldn't tell you the temp but at mid to 3/4 throttle it's 1250 and at WOT I am at peak performance at 1400 and my plug reading is tan. 6" away from the piston face.

tsutton44

EGT
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 07:23:21 PM »
i agree every motor is going to be somewhat different ,thats why i dont totally trust the egt gages.going by the plug chops is the best way.