Author Topic: alum fuel tank??  (Read 1741 times)

raider

alum fuel tank??
« on: May 23, 2004, 06:34:20 PM »
For those of you with aluminum fuel tanks mounted above engine, are most the 5 gal or 3.5 gal?  Did you feel any handling differences when driving agressively, since the weight of fuel is pretty high up on inside of roll cage?  Do the two mounting brackets usually come with tank purchase?  It looks like many of you are just drilling holes in cage to mount straps.

Dan

mudbogger

Re: alum fuel tank??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 06:31:07 AM »
Quote from: "raider"
For those of you with aluminum fuel tanks mounted above engine, are most the 5 gal or 3.5 gal?  Did you feel any handling differences when driving agressively, since the weight of fuel is pretty high up on inside of roll cage?  Do the two mounting brackets usually come with tank purchase?  It looks like many of you are just drilling holes in cage to mount straps     The fuel cells come in 3.5 or 5.0 gallon,I myself dont really notice the wieght of the fuel cell on my ody, it is only noticeable when rolling over-lol.The mounting brackets are included in the purchase of the tank, Odysseysalvage.com has them complete with fuel cap and petcock, go to Randys site or call him.I also have used in the past the poly cell tanks, the advantage to them is the fuel inlet is on the side not the middle as with the alumn tanks-much easier to fill if you are using a dual air inlet system on your ody.The poly cells are around 65 and come complete as well with brackets, etc.Try dansperformanceparts.com, he has them in stock in various colors as well, they can take a real good amount of punishment and work quite well, the only thing I have noticed is the are longer than the alumn tanks, they will stick out alittle more when mounted on the back rollbar tubes.As for mounting the cells, I do not drill the tubes, I have used hose clamps to fasten the mountiong brackets to my tubes and they have never loosed to date, just my 2 cents.