Author Topic: Help Please...Trying to start my 250  (Read 2711 times)

RobDude30

Help Please...Trying to start my 250
« on: May 09, 2004, 02:22:21 PM »
Finally got all of the pieces together on my '84 FL250 and am trying to start it today. A little background info: Fresh rebuild of everything, Goki electric start. The battery is NOT connected to the yellow lighting wire. I opted to just charge it as needed. Battery ground is tied to the frame at the starter solenoid.

When I tried to start it, I got some smoke from around the starter area after a minute or two of intermittant cranking. Finally figured out that my engine ground wire is trying to melt. That's where the smoke is coming from. The engine ground is attached to one of the pull starter mounting bolts and tied to the frame by a fender bolt. It gets very hot while attempting to start the engine. Anyone ever seen this before and know what the problem is?

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 03:59:11 PM »
First make sure the connections are clean; make sure you are using a wire to ground the engine the same gauge as the wire from the frame to the battery ground.
Thank you
"The Nut"

RobDude30

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 04:09:22 PM »
I was using the original engine ground wire. Very small, probably 18 awg. I just replaced it with a 12 awg and new ring terminals and it stopped overheating. Probably was a bad connection. I have 8 awg on the battery. You think I should ground the engine with the 8 awg or will the 12 awg suffice?

Got another set of problems now. It looks like I'm not getting any fuel, so I'll be checking that out.

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 04:49:37 PM »
you can never use to large a wire so I would use the 8 gauge wire
Thank you
"The Nut"

RobDude30

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 12:38:20 PM »
I'll change the wire. Better to be safe with it. I had no idea of the amount of current that flows through that ground! Thanks!

RobDude30

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 06:12:20 PM »
Changed my ground wire to 8 awg. Figured out that the fuel pump was bad so I replaced it. Fires right up and idles, but doesn't run very well. Still working on it.