Author Topic: Odyssey suspension  (Read 4982 times)

spynergy

Odyssey suspension
« on: April 29, 2004, 07:47:52 PM »
Anyone know a way to increase the travel of the rear suspension?  I'm pretty sure it would require longer driveshafts and maybe a different trailing arm.  If nobody knows of a way, then a source for new shock absorbers would be something.  I would also need one new trailing arm and have checked ebay but there are none so if anybody knows where I can find one that'd be great too.

I've seen Aftershock Motorsports front A-arm conversion and plan to get it when I can save up enough money but some kind of stop-gap would be nice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.   :)

tsutton44

Odyssey suspension
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 11:06:17 AM »
The best you can do without a total rear redesigning and building would be to get the front long travel a-arm setup and put Works shocks on the rear.With the a-arm setup i think there is a couple of different shocks you can use but not sure if Works makes a set big enough for it? Without the rear modification, Works all around will make a ton of difference to the stock setup,with or without remote reservoirs.

mudbogger

Odyssey suspension
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 02:37:01 PM »
I thought I had heard that mabye Aftershock was working on a new rear traliing arm setup for the rears of the 350's, how about it Steve,you planning on any thing like that?

spynergy

vielen dank
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 10:46:51 AM »
Thanks for the help, I think I will install new Works shocks.   :D

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Works
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 08:45:37 PM »
I built the front suspension based on a Bilstein shock, but also sent the specs to Works. Jeff Snuggs's 350 has Works shocks with his A-arm kit. There are pictures of his machine on my photos page: http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/photos

Not sure what stock travel is listed as, but I measure it at 4" front and 5" rear. Works shocks for stock replacement add about 1" front and rear.

I have a mock up of a rear 'extended travel' kit which increases travel to 8" using a stock replacement Works shock. In other words, you would not have to buy new rears if adding this kit. Possibly a revalve and springs, but I won't know that for a while. It is mostly to get rid of the weird squiggle the rear end does when going into a corner. The cost will be pretty low compared to the A-arm kit. I have no idea of timing, 6-12 months maybe. I also have a design that I did preliminary measurements for that will attain 12-13" of travel and keep the width of the machine near stock. It will be expensive because it will replace everything.

mudbogger

Odyssey suspension
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 05:39:38 AM »
Nice, put me on the list of testers please if you dont mind?

spynergy

Odyssey suspension
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 09:05:49 PM »
Livewire---
How do you get around the driveshaft length problem?  I may be wrong but it seems that the farther down the wheel is, the narrower the wheelbase would be (assuming the driveshaft was the same length).  Wouldn't it be necessary to have longer driveshafts, especially with the 12-13" kit?  

Put me on the testers list too!!  Please?!

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
axles
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 04:46:23 AM »
The long travel (12"-13") will have different axles.

The extended travel kit will prevent the top of the wheel from tipping in at full droop. That prevents the U-joint from binding as early allowing more travel. Even this kit will provide more travel than a Pilot.

I don't want to get into it any more than that until I can actually post pictures. That won't be for a while.

mudbogger

Odyssey suspension
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 02:16:38 PM »
Will the kit include the new axles by chance, are they going to be u joint or cv?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
axles
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 03:25:21 PM »
The long travel kit will include axles. The extended travel kit will not.

The long travel kit will most likely still use U-joints. Most CVs are larger. The belt already rubs the U-joint yoke. To accomodate a CV, it would need to be moved outward to clear the belt, shortening the axle. The angle the stock U-joints are capable of is greater than a VW type II CV.

mudbogger

Odyssey suspension
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 01:34:29 PM »
Ok thanks for the input LiveWire.