Author Topic: need help again  (Read 5157 times)

THAYSLETTE

need help again
« on: April 20, 2004, 12:56:35 PM »
ok I have put all the new parts on my 350  and cleaned and rebuilt the carb heres the problem it had a 143 main jet when i got it it ran great till  i leaned it out and blew the top end. so i put a 148 main jet in. (i have added a triple e ceramic coated exhaust, did the air box mod  and water cooled head.) also running 32:1 oil mix. now when i run it it bogs off the line and doesn't get on top of the motor. if you turn the fuel line off or close it a little it run like a top. i thought that it may be to big of a jet so i went to a 145 main it is still doing the same thing also the silencer is spitting raw fuel and oil every where. please help me figure this out also the needle is at the second from the top ring. and ruuning a br9es plug ngk hope i have given you enough to help me out.

atvnut

• View Profile
need help again
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 04:09:19 PM »
sounds like a sticking float or a bad needle and seat.  does it have any fule coming from the vents and are the vents clear?
Thank you
"The Nut"

THAYSLETTE

need help again
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 05:32:48 PM »
no fuel coming out the vents and they are clear

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
need help again
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 06:30:38 PM »
I agree w/nut - Could be that your float level's too high.  It's easy to bend the little tab that rides on the needle and seat accidently.

If you worked on the carb with the bowl off it's possible that you inadvertently pushed on the floats.

It could have very easily raised your float level - try delicately bending the tab closed just a hair - 3-5 degrees - you don't need but about 1/32nd or so of change to make a big difference.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

THAYSLETTE

need help again
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 10:16:37 AM »
I changed the float setting no diff still getting to much fuel i am at sea level. and i was wondering what jetting you all run. to get an idea. also is 32 to 1 to much oil .

ludedude

• View Profile
need help again
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 10:40:58 AM »
You may have had an issue that caused the engine to lean out (clogged filter, dirt in main jet, etc.) You may need to jet back down to the 143. Do plug chops, if the 148 is causing a wet black plug... you're too rich......

Air box mod and head mod after the blow up (143 main) or before? Same with the exhaust? Did you presure test after the rebuild? Although an air leak should make you lean....

THAYSLETTE

need help again
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 11:38:35 AM »
all mods were done after the engine rebuild it was pressure tested all aok

Odyknuck

• View Profile
need help again
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 11:50:37 AM »
Is your fuel line check "T" piped properly? How are your reeds? A back fire can split them.

THAYSLETTE

need help again
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 08:10:47 AM »
Reeds are fine and and the t is run right and working.i put a br8es ngk plug in it and it ran a 100 % better. also what is a good oil to run my father has had me running this castrol 2 stroke oil threw my bike i think this is part of my problem.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
need help again
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 08:44:44 AM »
You will have many differences of opinions on what oil to run. I use Klotz Techniplate 2. It is an 80% synthetic and 20% Caster (For better film strengh). As long as you use a high quailty oil designed for ATVs you will be OK. Do not use snowmobile oils they are designed for lower operating temperatures and will not hold up well. Some of the oils used by people on the boards are Yamalube, Amsoil 2000, Maxima, Bellray etc. Most mix at 32:1 and do not have problems.

THAYSLETTE

need help again
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 07:31:09 PM »
now i am really confused the plug when i run it looks almost perfect close to leaning out but i have raw fuel and oil all over the rear roll cage next to the silencer. lean condition with raw fuel pooring out the exhaust in the mid and high range what the heck is going on.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
need help again
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 06:54:08 AM »
There is a possiability there is still fuel/oil in the pipe from when it was not running right. Take the pipe and silencer off and drain them.

THAYSLETTE

need help again
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 06:56:25 AM »
I thought about that and drain both the pipe and silencer the silencer had some oil in it but it is still doing it.

mudbogger

need help again
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 07:47:06 AM »
Clean them both very well,it will take alittle time to burn the old oil/fuel out of the silencer.Second, what type of carb is this were talking about? Have to done another air leak test on the motor since you have been jetting?

THAYSLETTE

need help again
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 08:00:49 AM »
stock carb and i haven't done a air leak test accept for when i rebuilt it about a month ago is there a way to do it with the engine still installed