Author Topic: Acceleration!  (Read 2140 times)

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Acceleration!
« on: April 10, 2004, 06:39:22 AM »
A LESSON IN ACCELERATION:

First, some useful info:
* One NHRA Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than all the cars in the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.
* Under full throttle, a Top Fuel dragster engine consumes 1? gallons of  nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same  rate with 25% less energy being produced.
* A stock Dodge 426 Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.
* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.
*Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane the flame  front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.
* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in  the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
* In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.
* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading  this sentence.
* Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!
* Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
* The red-line is actually quite high at 9500 rpm.
* The Bottom Line; Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an
estimated $1,000.00 per second. The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is  4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony
Schumacher).
The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last
66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective for you bikers:
You are riding the average $250,000 Honda MotoGP bike. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start.

You run the RC211V hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph (293 ft/sec).

The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster  launches and starts after you. You keep your wrist cranked hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that  sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he
passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

That, folks, is acceleration.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
Acceleration!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 09:08:10 AM »
So, does that mean I can't beat him with my 350?   :shock:

VBG!     :D

Interesting stuff .....

vfrpilot

• View Profile
Acceleration!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 10:41:21 AM »
HEY!    That thing got a Hemi?

dhjunkie

• View Profile
Acceleration!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 10:55:37 AM »
HMMM.  so IF I  strap myself to a JATO rocket, I might be able to beat a top fuel dragster???    :shock:

tsutton44

Acceleration!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 10:37:39 AM »
Very nice Moskito,you getting into drag racing now ?Love the top fuelers and the aa/fc arent too shabby either.Nothing like the roar of 7000hp blower motor  :D A great example with the bike on acceleration.The ground literally shakes with the power,launch and noise those things put out.Been watching them run and evolve since i was a kid,pops was a mechanic and have The legendary Great Lakes Dragway (lmao) just minutes away.Though they used to say that track was one of the best traction tracks anywhere, back in the 50's to the early 70's.I saw many of the early teams in the AA fuel class.I think John Force still holds the track record for funny car aa/fc.I didnt know the fuel turned near solid though,doesnt sound too good but thats the way they run and there quick !I used to like the AA/FA fuel altereds back when,those boys had some wood  :)  especially when they used to allow fire burnouts with bleach.

Moskito

• View Profile
Acceleration!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 11:09:31 AM »
I'm not into drag racing much at all - that was sent to me and I found it quite interesting.

I do find drag racing very interesting from a perspective of what they do, the mechanical aspects (how do they get 7K hp to stick to the ground??) and appreciate it for the fact that they (drag racers) get the same thrill as I do on a bike/in a car, but I prefer dirt, extending my thrill time over more than a few seconds and a quarter mile (two/three hours and 200 miles) and going nowhere near that fast.  :D

Terminal velocity of about 100 mph is just fine for me.  :shock:
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

tsutton44

Acceleration!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 10:25:11 PM »
They are putting 7000hp to the ground( besides huge tires,vht traction compound,gearing and spoilers )by slipping the clutch.They slip the clutch just enough to get it up and off the line(in a hurry)without breaking the tires loose and at somewhere around 1000 ft or 2/3 track they get full lock up with the motor and clutch.A real tough job from track to track,tuning a 7000 hp motor and clutch tunning to track and weather conditions.I allways wanted to work on them but never got off my arse and did anything about it  :x  If you watch them sometimes you will see(especialy with the funny cars) the drivers get out of the car looking all sooty and there firesuits are blackened or dirty all the time - clutch dust! truly impressive though and most of the time they are having to take power out of the motor to get the records we are seeing today,near 4.50 seconds at 240 mph in 1420 ft.It's impressive too to see these guys tear down these motors every run in a matter of 45 minutes i think now and do whatever it takes to have it to the line for next round.They also have more seat time than you may think,they have three days of qualifying,testing and tunning at each track before eleminations start on  sunday,plus any testing in between race dates at other tracks.I would like to check out Frank Hawleys (ex CHI-TOWN HUSTLER driver)drag racing school down in florida.3 day course and third day you are in an alchohol dragster for a full pass.cost is probably around 3 grand now.I allways had a thing for pure brute horse power  8)

tsutton44

Acceleration!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 09:33:43 AM »
Moskito,dont know if you saw it yet but here is what i did with the intake on the fl350.tubes are at 16" for now.

Moskito

• View Profile
Acceleration!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 07:58:53 AM »
Looks great!