Author Topic: Making brake bleeding easy!  (Read 3235 times)

redrider

• View Profile
Making brake bleeding easy!
« on: April 01, 2004, 11:54:14 PM »
http://www.tooldesk.com/cgi-bin/webplus.exe?script=/shop/item3.wml&storeid=1&groupid=Bleeding&prodid=MTY%2D6820&deptid=Brake&SessionID=2004421541773

Link provided for the Mityvac Brake Bleeding Kit at a good price.  This has been one of the best tools I've purchased for bleeding brake systems. Period!

MassOdy

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 05:38:37 AM »
I have one too. I agree it made bleeding easy.

But, I must have introduced air at the nipple since I still have poor brakes. They were better before I tried making them better.  :cry:
Will play again with it this weekend.

Parking Brake works great.

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 08:37:21 AM »
I found that putting the teflon tape on the bleeder threads helps reduce the really small air bubbles (as suggested in the manual).

MassOdy

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 08:55:09 AM »
Ah I missed that step. I noticed the inlet was rotating a bit as I pumped fluid.

Should I start all the way back from clearing the lines again? Or can I start again by putting teflon tape on and pump another reservoir full of fluid through? All along I was watching the res. fill and I did not see bubbles just fluid.

Thanks again.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
Vacume pressure
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 10:43:04 AM »
I have also found if you use a lower vacume it works better than trying to draw the fluid at a fast rate. Also pouring the fluid slowly into the rez to keep it from picking up air will help and to let it settle if the bottle is shaken up for any reason. A smalll spring steel clamp on the end of the hose where it attaches to the bleader will keep air from being sucked in around it giving the illusion you still have air in the system.

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 10:47:43 AM »
I don't think you need to clear the lines - just  put tape on and pump until you no longer see the large air bubbles. You might have to stop and refill the reservoir or have someone keep it topped off for you.  You will probably continue to see some of the really small bubbles but not as many as before the teflon tape.

MassOdy

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 10:59:48 AM »
Ahh more details thanks.

I was actually pressure bleeding them from the rear to the front res.
I filled the itiVac's bottle with fluid primed its hoser stuck it one and pumped.

Prior to starting I used a bulb siringe to remove fluid from the res and I pumped fluid in from the rear caliper. I was careful not to pump air in. But I think it drew air in thru the threads.

Maybe I should try it with vacumm instead of pressure. I read on both ways and decided on reverse pressure bleeding. Thinking if only fluid goes in then any bubbles will burp out the reservoirs. So while doing it I had my wife pump as I watched the fluid get pushed into the res.

The front end was up on jack stands for a week or so prior to starting the bleed. I had to do stuff up front too so I just left it that way.

I may be jinxing myself now. But the two things Ive always had a hard time getting right are Carbs and Brakes. Carb is doing great now. Brakes are still a bitch. I beleive its all the learning curve and gaining experience.

thanks for your experience guys!

MassOdy

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 06:00:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys!

What a pain it was but they work again.

I ended up doing both vacuum and pressure bleeding.
I noticed air coming out the res. so I kept pumping the
brakes until it  settled. Then back to the rear.

With parking brake applied I got more air out and then
it all started to firm up.

Now I will keep an eye on the pressure and make sure I don't
have a small leak. This caliper is in need of a replacement. And
I need to pick up a set of master cylinder pistons for a rebuild.
Will cross that path when these soften up.

mudbogger

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 02:41:21 PM »
Randy has those rebuild kits for the master, just remember that they are different from left to right so make sure you get both of them, they are not the same inside the master cylinder.

betel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 03:17:05 PM »
I bought one of the mityvacs from my local Autozone store for $25.00.  It definately made bleeding the front brakes on the 350 much easier.  I bleed them before I had the device and thought I would never get them to pump up right.