Author Topic: Side pod removal  (Read 1698 times)

Faux Pas

Side pod removal
« on: March 30, 2004, 11:40:41 AM »
Hey guys,
I am trying to take off the plastic side pods and the two big fasteners that are a combo of straight and phillips wont move. Any trick to removing them? I dont want to break them.
Thanks, Dave

redrider

• View Profile
IMPACT DRIVER
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 12:20:34 PM »
An impact driver   :)   is the only thing I could get to break those screws.  I also use it to tighten them back up, just carefully.  I've seen several guys have replaced those nasty big phillips heads with hex heads.

Faux Pas

Side pod removal
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 01:08:06 PM »
Thanks Red I just didntg want to use an impact till I was sure

atvnut

• View Profile
Side pod removal
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 04:49:26 PM »
Just a little clarification; I am sure red is talking about an impact driver one you hit with a hammer and it rotates; while a positive force is applied towards the fastener. Dont confuse this with your air impact otherwise you will end up with a stripped or rounded fastener. You may also try just tapping on the head of the fastener sometimes this will help loosen them up.
Thank you
"The Nut"

redrider

• View Profile
thanks for the clarification NUT
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 06:03:16 PM »
Yes, an manual impact driver.  I always get it turned wrong too and end up tightening it a bit more before I realize it's set the wrong way! LOL

Faux Pas

Side pod removal
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 06:06:41 PM »
Yeah, hammer impact. On mine the holder for the bits pops off and it becomes a 3/8 socket drive. Useful sometimes.