Author Topic: 2 top end rebuilds to do  (Read 2505 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
2 top end rebuilds to do
« on: March 26, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »
Well I think I now have all the parts to rebuild mine and my brothers pilot top ends.

http://www.p-o-ps.com/211ch/viewtopic.php?t=181

I need to borrow a good camera and take some pictures of the 2 cylinders. Mine was carbide bored by Bore-Tech. My brothers was not.
He was a simple short WOT lean run.....ppppfffft! Small scuffs/gouge in the piston....left a gouge in the cylinder...will need to be bored.

Mine was run repeatedly too lean, with the Digatron kicking in and triggering the rev limiter, extra fuel dumping in, cooling and saving the engine....I must have hit that limit 100 times that day....like the other post states...destructive testing  :roll: I had the EGT set at 1285...I had run before up to 1310 with no ill effects...but I swapped out a plain steel torque pipe for a ceramic coated pipe and the sensor may not be in the exact same position, so 1285 may be what 1310 used to be....I need to do plug chops again to find my safe upper limit again. Overall I was happy with the way the gauge performed, I just didn't take the time to verify the EGT/plug chop after the new pipe install.

This time I will take it out and do plug chops and record the EGT temps...actually it records..I just recall  :wink:

I have a dial-a-jet installed too since then so I'll be testing that ouyt as well. I hope these 2 work well hand in hand.

My brother does not run a gauge, so we'll plug chop his too and jet on the rich side. I think he'll be getting gauge soon though  :lol:

I'm supposed to get off nights Wed morning and we're supposed to ride next weekend. So I've got a bit o work to do.

2 top ends
plug chops and re-jet
finish the install of my +2 arms
hopefully my shocks will be in and install 4 new works shocks
Make new nerf front cross bar on Ted's
we now all have teamtech harnesses installed
replace some lights, add a set to Sinclair's
remove some tires ans install new ones  :D  on OMF beadlocks

I feel like shit right now with this cold and may just book the rest of my shift off...supposed to be at work now  :shock:  so I'm repaired in time to do some repairs!

Faux Pas

2 top end rebuilds to do
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 04:44:15 PM »
I'm really curious about the dial-a-jet. It sounds good... do you know anyone that has one installed and has tested it?

ludedude

• View Profile
2 top end rebuilds to do
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 04:56:10 PM »
nope...not that I know of on a Pilot... a lot of guys around here run them on their sleds and lovew them

atvnut

• View Profile
2 top end rebuilds to do
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 05:03:24 PM »
http://www.holtzmaneng.com/

I would also look at this as an alternative.
Thank you
"The Nut"

ludedude

• View Profile
2 top end rebuilds to do
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 05:18:40 PM »
Yikes! They're a tad bit more expensive than the dial-a-jet...any better? I can't yet report on the dial-a-jet...but I will