Author Topic: K-fab Heads coming along great!  (Read 4705 times)

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
K-fab Heads coming along great!
« on: March 22, 2004, 08:21:59 PM »
Been learning the new machine - and actually starting to get the hang of it.

Here's the results of tonight's work - the upper half of the head is finished, the lower half is about 2/3rds done - will finish it tomorrow.

After I get the program all set up, it should knock out a head every 20 min or so.

I'll finish the domes this week too, provided I can get my lathe working correctly.

Heads are almost ready - WOO HOOO!!!!!
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 08:24:17 PM »
The Machine Center
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 08:29:15 PM »
Stuff flies when it's running.  The coolant system flushes 13 gallons a min out of 5 jets onto the part.

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 08:30:09 PM »
close up of the inner chamber - tool's doing a test pass, so no cooling going on.

350nut

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 05:40:53 PM »
Nice stuff Moskito,thats a lot of money sitting there!!!

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 06:26:33 PM »
Sweet! Way cool buddy! Keep up the good work...

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 07:25:13 PM »
Sweeeeeet! Great job skeeter!!!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

pilotdude

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 07:35:41 PM »
Moskito, why dont you expand business wise? A cnc like that is not cheap, Im sure you could sell quite a few of those heads out side this group....

PD

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 06:38:33 PM »
Once I get them dialed in (combustion chamber design and pressures) and then tweak the program for the heads just a tad, I have full intention of sending a couple to Neil at ATVR, Don at PCP and one to Jay.

I'll try selling them on e-bay and also KiowA's forum.  Once the word gets out, I may just have the first of what will hopefully be a couple winning products to sell.  The market's quite small, so hopefully it will become a known product fairly quickly.

I now have five finished Rad Relo heads (water bung comes out of the top of the head) and two regular heads - still need to punch the bung hole in the side where the stock inlet bung is.

I cc'd five different domes yesterday at Bore-Tech.  The FS's OEM head (high compression), the high compression insert dome that I got on ebay, and then three different domes that I've done with different dimensions for the combustion chamber.  I think I'm too large on the chambers, as they were quite a few more cc's than the FS's, and the high comp insert.  I'll get them off to a couple of my testers here soon - I have to make a couple more domes first.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
w/c heads
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 06:42:06 PM »
Looking nice! Come hang out in the #atv&pilot chat room on the undernet sometime!

350nut

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 07:57:17 AM »
or channel poontang on the efnet!Lookin really nice, that machine must have ran you some big bucks, where did you learn how to operate it Moskito?you have a background in machining?

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2004, 10:08:12 AM »
I have a trail of broken tools in my wake and am pretty much self taught.

Learning my last machine (Prototrac) was my intro into CNC - gave me the basic building blocks.  Prototracs use a very basic coding - pretty much punch and play and let the machine figure it out.  This one's drastically different in that I have to program EVERY move it makes.  Forget to pull the tool up after a pass?   Watch it spit the bit out across the table...

I have had two days training on this machine and, fortunately,  have picked up on it fairly quickly.  Can't wait to get into actual 3-d machining.  That's where you start doing contours and radii in more than one axis - I'll be able to make domes on it when I do.

Right now the domes are done on a Prototrac lathe.

All started about 19 years ago when I bought a small hobby shop lathe and bench top mill.   Now it's production machine time and just too cool.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2004, 10:13:11 AM »
Are/will you be setup to design in 3D and generate tool poaths through a post processor in to the controller?

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2004, 10:28:57 AM »
I will be.  I'm using Bobcad version 17 right now.  Have 18, but want to get familiar with 17 first.  Both are capable of 3D, I just have to learn how.   I just talked to my training guy and he said that it wasn't gonna be a problem at all.

I do all the design work in ACAD, upload it to Bobcad as a dxf file and then Bobcad spits out the G-code.  I  send it to the machine center straight from the laptop.  Works very nicely.   I can also retrieve programs from the machine center and drop them into the laptop.  two way street.

350nut

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2004, 11:06:38 AM »
Quote from: "Moskito"
I will be.  I'm using Bobcad version 17 right now.  Have 18, but want to get familiar with 17 first.  Both are capable of 3D, I just have to learn how.   I just talked to my training guy and he said that it wasn't gonna be a problem at all.

I do all the design work in ACAD, upload it to Bobcad as a dxf file and then Bobcad spits out the G-code.  I  send it to the machine center straight from the laptop.  Works very nicely.   I can also retrieve programs from the machine center and drop them into the laptop.  two way street.
Dam you lost me at hello!!!