Author Topic: Won't rev  (Read 3187 times)

Faux Pas

Won't rev
« on: March 22, 2004, 08:21:33 PM »
So here's the story. My friend knows nada about motor vehicles and he brought his pilot to me for help. I know something about karts but I just got my Pilot 3 weeks ago so I am new to them. He claims it ran ok when he drove it last and then when he started it after a week or so it won't rev past about 2500. It idles great but when you gas it kind of "stutters" is the best I can say. I pulled the choke and it got worse. It starts to rev up then it flattens out sounding like it has the choke on. Where do I begin? The plug is dark brown and a little wet but not bad. I put the plug in from mine, same thing. Should I swap carbs to test it? Lucky I happen to have a good spare Pilot laying around, right? Should I do a compression test?
Thanks guys.

litespeed

Won't rev
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 03:45:33 AM »
You check the reverse safety switch? Sounds like a wire got cut or pulled....
Just pull both and ground. Be carefull, you will then be able to start it in reverse and forward and you could possibly run yourself over.

If that doesn't work, unscrew the spark plug cap and cut about 1/4" of the wire off and screw the cap back on.

Unplug and the replug all your wiring plugs together, make sure you haven't lost  contact someplace.

You have a good strong spark at the plug? Try a new plug for shits and grins?

twostrokes4ever

Won't rev
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 10:47:08 AM »
mabe one of the brakes is looked, knot shure does it rev freely to 2500 rpms or does it have a hard time,

Faux Pas

Won't rev
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 12:04:30 PM »
Yeah I swapped a known, good plug from my other Pilot and it was exactly the same. I will try the other things and see what happens. It does rev clean till it craps out. The safety switch could be it, I saw a post somewhere with pictures of it but I don't know where. Is it in the manual?
Cant be brakes, it does it neutral.
Thanks for the help, I would have never thought of the safety switch.
I'll post what happens when I get it sorted.

ludedude

• View Profile
Won't rev
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 03:25:54 PM »
Should be in the manual. I know that if you cut the grey wire at the CDI it cuts out the reverse rev limiter. I run mine without, as I like to be able to run WOT in reverse if needed whem stuck.

Litespeed...there's 2 different wires is there not. One for neutral safety start and one for reverse rev limiter....cutting the grey only cuts out the rev limiter in reverse...the neutral safety start is still intact....or am I wrong?

twostrokes4ever

Won't rev
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 07:56:45 PM »
did ya check the carb boot for tears, just in case,but it shure looks to be a eletrical problem

Faux Pas

Won't rev
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 09:52:08 PM »
I dont think its lean, if I pull the choke or partly cover the intake it gets worse. So the reverse safety switch kicks in a rev limiter? Cause that would sure explain what it sounds like. Hmmm...

johnhbd

Won't rev
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 11:27:31 PM »
Had the same thing happen to one my pilot and it was a resticted exhaust. Remove the silencer portion and see if it will rev past 2500.

litespeed

Won't rev
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 04:25:28 AM »
Lude,  

I think your right but I like to start in gear, I figure the more I have to shift the more wear and tear on the tranny. You know how sometimes the tranny won't shift into gear easy, have to give it a little gas or rock it or whatever. Plus I can just go when I get in and buckel up.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

ludedude

• View Profile
Won't rev
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 08:33:40 AM »
Litespeed,

I have the same thing done on mine ;) I have the reverse re limiter unwired and the neutral safety bypassed, for the same reason as you. I also placed a nut under the shift knob so I do not have to pull it up to shift...I found this was one of the first peices to freeze in cold winter driving...

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Won't rev
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 10:13:10 AM »
You say it ran and then just suddenly decide to start this sort of issue?

Check the main jet - almost sounds like something's plugging it up.  - a guess...

The easiest place to get to the grey wire is where it goes into the CDI box (behind the seat, on the cross bar of the roll cage).  It's on the two line connector.  Just clip it, or if you can, pull it out of the connector (needs a small screw driver to gently lift the locking tab out of the way) and then put heat shrink over it.

You can over-ride the neutral starting switch at the tranny.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Faux Pas

Won't rev
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 05:39:45 PM »
I dont know if it ran or not, my friend is being very vague. He knows absolutely nothing about anything with an engine. He just sold it to me cheap because he said he "doesn't want to work on something that's just going to break". So I have inherited this problem. It sure does seem almost like the rev limiter is kicking in, is that possible? Is there a rev limiter in reverse? I got it for 2500 bucks so I don't even care if it seized.
Like I said it doesn't seem to be lean, it seems electrical. I just haven't had time to try anything yet. I am working 24/7. It idles fine and runs up to about 1/2 throttle then starts to stutter. Not stutter exactly, more like a bronx cheer.

Faux Pas

Won't rev
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 05:52:33 PM »
Litespeed,
I will try your suggestions first. In my experience, 95% of the time these kinds of problems are something simple. As I asked previously, does it have a rev limiter in reverse? Is that why you said to check the safety switch? I dont know what it does and I cant find any where in the manual that tells unless it's in the owners manual. I don't have one.
Thanks

ludedude

• View Profile
Won't rev
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 06:14:04 PM »
Yes, there is a reverse rev limiter. Like Moskito said, easy to get rid of it at the CDI...cut or remove the grey wire from the 2 wire plug going into the CDI...

It's behind the seat, on the cross bar, left hand side(while in pilot). black box in rubber mount.

Faux Pas

Won't rev
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 06:32:29 PM »
Thanks Lude
I will try that straightaway. Is there a spellchecker on your site anywhere?