Author Topic: Starter  (Read 1909 times)

jmg47905

• View Profile
Starter
« on: December 02, 2009, 05:50:27 PM »
Hey everyone.  I'm the proud new owner of an FL350 and I've started giving it the cleaning it deserves and replacing parts.

The Electric Starter is getting the power, but not turning the motor over.  The battery has plenty of juice and the wiring is solid.  Any thoughts/suggestions?  I'm also struggling getting to the starter to take it off....is there an easier way to get to it rather than through the top?

thanks much,
James

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Starter
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »
The starter is probably full of oil.

The counter balancer is vented through a hole in the left case into a void in the bottom of the cylinder which in turn connects through a hole into the stator area. If the oil is overfilled or an aftermarket cylinder base gasket is used which does not have the baffles of the OEM gasket, oil will migrate through these holes. The starter ring gear then pumps the oil into the electric starter. Sometimes it can just be drained out and a rebuild kit with brushes and such installed.

The manual states to pull the driven clutch and the brake disk. I feel it is easier to just pull the engine. You pull the engine out through where the seat is. Since you just got the machine, I would pull the engine anyway and do a leak down test. Old, dried out and leaking crank seals are common with the age of the machine. Pulling the head and inspecting the bore would probably be a good idea too.

jmg47905

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 07:46:49 PM »
Thanks Live.  I took your advice and basically leaned the motor forward and it came right out.  Considering the age, is there a website or a company that supplies parts for these still?

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 12:36:28 PM »
There are several places to get parts I would recommend www.aftershockmotorsports.com for new parts and well ebay or myself for used parts at least til my supply runs out.
Thank you
"The Nut"