Author Topic: Ocala Trip Feb 2004.....Thanks Guys!  (Read 3238 times)

MassOdy

Ocala Trip Feb 2004.....Thanks Guys!
« on: February 29, 2004, 10:17:47 PM »
Quick message. I need a shower. :)

Awesome time. Felt like home. Everyone is great and like an extended family.
Met new friends which is always a good thing!

No real injuries and all is well (unless it occured after 2:30 Sunday).

Will post later.

Hoser: Site's down for me tonight.

MassOdy

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 07:04:07 PM »
details guys come on! :cry: :wink:

MassOdy

Ocala Trip: Friday Night travels
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 09:54:49 AM »
This is corny shit:

Ocala Trip February Twenty-04

Friday Night:
I Left Boston on Jet Blue on Friday evening. Watched Direct TV all the way down. What a great
way to pass a plane ride.

I arrived in Orlando just after 11 PM got my backpack and helemt and headed to the car rental pickup. And I waited and waited. I suppose Thrifty Rental is thrifty for a reason.
I asked for the car and he went over the insurance: Will you need vehichle damage coverage: probably. :) I got the Kia Sorrento as they promisd and headed out for supplies.

As I approached the interstate 4 I referenced my maps. Hmm Street Atlas says go north: But, this is an even number interstate they go east west. So I chose west: not knowing I needed to drive thru Orlando to get to Ocala. I go a little ways ( good 15 twenty mintues) and I start checking the map some more. DAMN wrong way.

Don't you know: The off ramps are tolled at this point of the road. And being after midnight they are unmanned. All I had was 3 dimes. And it wants 25 cents. Cool off I go. Turn around. DOAH another tool to get back on. I searched and searched to no avail. They got my last my penny. And probably a picture for keep sakes. :(

I get INTO Orlando again and boom another tool booth. I payed her. Mentioned the previous toll and she smailed and said I was forgiven. Yeah right: we'll see when the pictures get developed.

I traveled north (doah East) until I hit the state roads: At this point I didn't want to make more stupid mistakes and be found with Daryl and Daryl in the back woods. I pulled to the side and fired up the laptop and GPS and listen to her tell me where to turn. Mind you this is the same software i relied on earlier. So I kept OdyKids directions close at hand.

Boy these new cars can haul ass and not know it. Being a white boy FROM the North and after 1AM: I wanted to be careful.

Low and behold I see the sign for Alexander Springs. I'm getting warmer. I start hauling ass up the County road and I catch the glimpse of the power lines. Remember a thread that we were camping under them I thought are we here.

Being a rental: There are only two speeds floor it or full brake. Full brake it was: tetsing the ABS system that is.

I turn INTO camp and I see familar belongings. I noticed Hoser's Suburban and Hare's Pickup. Ahh I made it. Oh and then there is this All encompassing modified trailer. Nice digs. Fires still burning low. I kick a few loggs on and crack a beer. Out pops FROM teh trailer is OdyKid checking on the goods. I saw Hi and he pops back in.

Sky is perfectly clear. Brisk cool air. soft sandy ground. Half Moon shining away allowing me to glimmer through the woods and see beautiful open pine forrest.

Hmm 3AM better goto bed. I pitch the pack tent and crash. Did I ever: next thing I hear is the generator firing up. Brr it got cold. Glad I brought a good sleeping bag. But this is FLorida. But Its february.

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Re: Ocala Trip Feb 2004.....Thanks Guys!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 10:34:25 AM »
Quote from: "MassOdy"
Quick message. I need a shower. :)

Awesome time. Felt like home. Everyone is great and like an extended family.
Met new friends which is always a good thing!

No real injuries and all is well (unless it occured after 2:30 Sunday).

Will post later.

Hoser: Site's down for me tonight.

MassOdy

LOL!!! I needed TWO showers! I had no idea sand could make its way INTO all of these places... :lol:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

MassOdy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 10:53:33 AM »
Saturday Feb 27th:

Well the brisk morning air was nice to wake up to. Clear skies continue and will for the remainded of the weekend. Odykid gives me a coffee boost and starts wrenching on his Pilot.

Hosers awakes, Hare too and Odykid sons are ripping up the sand. We're hanging around shooting the shit. Odykid's wife brings over an egg sandwich which was welcoming friendly.

Hare and I take the rental for a sand run. It did amazing well we took her down a few towers and back. Last thing I wanted was the rental stuck.

At some point that morning a ranger shows up: "Who's camper is this". whew: glad I took the tent down already I was thinking. Like the teacher in charlie brown talking to the kids: I heard
the drawling chatter of a lecture going on. Then clear as day we're all called over to join the fun.
Think of the Police Officer in South Park......

We're taught the finer points of the rules and low and behold the tent is OK but most everything else is not. HMM this was news to the rest of the guys. Same dude last year was cool about it all.
But, his job is his job. All in all warning us of his bosman. Whats this another vehicle: Bossman.

Mid forties, glasses, forrest service issue lime green jeans, shirts, belt buckle and ticket book. They both were actually pretty decent all in all. Bossman reiterated a few points and off he went to CHECK out the Piltos. "New machine hmm?" No we respond actually old. (just maticulaously detailed). Off he goes after a few kids without helmets. :)

Hoser offers up me a ride: He brought his Honda 400EX. I was like sure thanks! Hmm been a while since I've had to shift. Being careful I take it for a quick spin. Vroom stall, vroom stall, VRROOOM. Cool 1st gear, second, third. Holy shit. :) I return. Hoser: "How's the suspsension a bit stiff for you". nah I think its OK. It was stiff a bit but it was fine. I think the 400EX if it had
a mind didn't know I was on it.

We all line up to head out. Vroom bang off we go. I'm left in the dust. Oh well. I start following tracks and listening for Stoenman's exhaust in the distance. I putt around the trails for a bit
stop take out the camera and wait for the Pilots to come along. After a few trials of that I
decide to capture some trail footage. riding one handed I capture a few trails for show.

Head back to camp and hang. OdyKids friends SHOW up and I see a 350. Cool I say.

Off we go for a second ride. Left in the dust. But, I'm gettting better at riding this 400EX.

On the trail I come across Ross in his 350 so I tell him to rip up and back and I'll take video. We head off together and I had to stop for a second and in doing so lost in the dust. Getting tired
and hungry I head back.

We decide to head out and take video footage of the trails. We did this in about three or so different spots. hare and I set up cameras on trail side. Hare uses two of his DVCAMs and I use my handheld camera. several iterations of the pilots zooming down and back we captured a lot of great shots. Trust was the name of the game for me. I was CLOSE to the trail. And was known to flinch a few times. After a good sand storm my camera is now a fixed focus camera. With a bit of zoom on I can get the shot in focus. We pack up and head back to camp.

Now its getting dark and plans are being formed for the evening. Being too tired I opt'd for staying back and not going to Daytona for the evening. Instead we grab a 4 dollar shower and hoser and I grab dinner at the Pizza Hut. We had plenty of time for conversation as the take out window took precedences over sit in.

We wind up at the legal camping area and we look for Pilots. Ah here's OdyKid. Park and was given a beer. MMM yum. Across the way is PilotSniper and friends. I wander over. "Hey nice looking Pilots: Where's Sniper?" Another warm welcome FROM common friends/interests. Besides the firendly company the powerlines was a nicer spot. I head off to the rental and prepare to crash inside tonight. Soon after quiet hour I'm awoken by a dog barking at my car or well next to it. I'm like thinking does he not like the smell of my down sleeping bag or am I food? He persisted for sometime. Morning came quickly again and we chat about the pooch. He probably was sensing a bear or a like in the area just out side of the permitter. HMMM.

MassOdy

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 04:49:23 PM »
Sunday Feb 28 2004

Well morning came quickly once again. Another fine sunny day. The condensation on the inside of the rental was rather thick. And the heat I generated made for some more on the outside too. Never seen that before.

So I reached over turned over the ingition and cranked the AC on Hot. Much to my surprise Beasty Boys were on the radio. When ever I hear there tunes I think of one thing.... Oh wrong forum. :)

I sat in the back of the rental and began to pack up my camping gear. My sleeping bag blew a seem so the rental is now COVERED in down feathers. I get it all compressed INTO the pack and I go out to see whos up. Well Hoser's gone already. And the other families are awake. Rigo offers me some milk for my corn flakes. Much needed food to get ready for the day of riding. Everyone else is heading to Mc'Ds. I leave early to get coffee and call home. Call home was a bust with these crappy little digital phones.

I arrive back at the riding area. This time we're on the north side of the road instead of the south. But, where is everyone? Just Hoser. After a bit the crews began to arrive and unload. A few good candid shots of OdyKid in his federaly uniform. And up comes the ranger again. This time he's sporting his humvee with AC. He makes eyes at OdyKids condo but no word to be had. Household AC unit was cut INTO the canvas wrap powered by a generator. Cool. We shoot the shit and off he goes.

Well today we have more riders. We add PilotSniper, Ross, Rigo, and Stoneman's Bro. in-law. I CHECK Hoser's 400EX and we're still on the first tank full. He mentions we'll turn around when I hit reserve. We all line up for pictures and off we go. I'm mid pack today and hauling ass up the sand whoops. After cutting off onto the side trails I'm getting a bit too comforatable with my riding skills. :) I need to remind myself to stay in the rear, don't hold up the pilots.

Hauling ass ( it felt like) Up tight little trails with low branches. I come around the corner to see the crew coming at me. Assuming they were going fast as I over compesated on slowing and pulling off the trail. As I was falling over flash backs of superman dives comes to mind. If it was My Prairie the CG is so high it would have been on me. But the 400EX was nice and stayed on her four paws. Not me. Plop INTO the middle of the trail. It should be on one of the tapes of the lead vehicles. Rigo hops off his ATV and rotates the EX for me. Thanks dude!

Of we go again. We do several trips up and back on various trails. Now I'm mid pack again.
On some sweet soft flat trails. Oops, curves and shit. slow down bob! Uh Oh. That pine tree looks like it has my name on it. Swoosh: Nope not my name just my arm. with one hand on throttle the other I pull the branch out of my Pitt and threw it behind. Thats when I recall Hoser was behind me.

He's gonna be pissed if I got this baby F'd up. But, I'm good for it and will take responsibility for my actions. I slow to the side and remind my self to keep up the rear. No need to die on the last day.

We zip up and around some more. Great trails for Pilots and Ody.

I come around the corner to find Hoser and Ross in the road. Whats up? Ross had a confrontation with a tree or two. And well the tree won and his ITP rim lost. Its just us three for a while until the crew back tracks. No luck with getting the rim off: inside wrapped around so bad its holding on to the hub area.

Yikes. Now I know why you guys told me about stock versus after market for me up here in rock country. Rigo is sent back to camp for tools and a rim. Well the rim was not to budge so a tow trip it was by Rigo and his ATV. We all putt back to camp.

Now we have just time for one more short trip. Stoneman is ready with his Brother inlaw. We line up and go. This time I force myself to the rear of the pack. Before heading off the main trail we wait for all the riders to be in line. I head up behind Stone and Co.. Now I've been getting good at following these tracks of the Pilots. I see Stone and Co. go right instead of left. Well I might as well follow. We stop and decide its miller time. I learn now its 1.5 hrs away FROM the airport not 1 hour. HMM better head out now. Well this section of trail was more confusing than the rest. We back track a few times with no good luck. Eventually I came by a sign that said no horses (beautiful thing) I know where I am now. I was here yesterday. Mind you I'm on reserve fuel by now.

I haul ass back up the power lines and park it at camp. Its 2:30 pm by now and well that was supposed to be my leaving time (if it was 1 hour to orlando not 1.5). Hamburgers are done I grab one (Thanks again !) and say my good byes. Head out on the road jsut to get cut off. Damn burgers on the floor. good thing I got 2/3rds of it in me.

I make my way to orlando thru the traffic and I'm running very late. I barely make it on the shuttle and INTO the airport. A little angel must have been helping me.

At the last possible moment I remember "Damn I need a present for the boy!". I run INTO the disney store pay too much and off to security. I was second to last guy on the flight and we left the gate 5 minutes early.

I get home to find a sleeping son and a happy wife. (whew) We fire up the MAC and I begin to import the 40 minutes of video. I offered she can pick the sand out of my hair but she declines. So off to the shower it is for me.

Monday came very early and soar. I had bought a play doh set for the 3 year old son and boy was that a hit! Buzz Lightyear Play doh factory. Good thing: More expensive Mickey Mouse Huge hands/paws not a hit. Blue Chips FROM jet Blue at first was looking promising. Nope: "daddy those chips are dirty". Oh well.

Until we meet again I always like to think and say!

Thanks to all for a friendly exciting time!

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 07:25:31 PM »
AWESOME! Thanks Bob, great write up! Oh I'm so jealous...got me re-thinking my decision on not going to ECJ....maybe I can use the shipping money as fuel money and hand deliver some clutches! hehe

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 12:05:09 AM »
Here's a link to a HUGE video file of Ocala that I slapped together tonight. I really wish I had taken more video footage, but as they say, time flies when you're HAVING fun!!! It would also have helped if my wife had a steady hand while videotaping, but I guess putting up with me is hard enough! :shock:

Enjoy!

http://www.atlanticpaints.com/Videos/Ocala%200204.wmv

MassOdy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 09:13:43 AM »
Nice job on the mixing and so forth.

Good looking production.

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 02:50:49 PM »
Thanks Bobster! I'm trying to get the hang of this program. I guess the only way to learn is to do. By the way, you look like a movie star in the video!!! :lol:

twostrokes4ever

nice movie
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2004, 02:04:28 PM »
hey great job on the movie pilotsniper, i love your pilot :shock: do ya have eney more :!: