Author Topic: Compression  (Read 2649 times)

matt

• View Profile
Compression
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »
My fl350r has 100 psi compression , i checked it after i warmed the engine up and also had the throttle depressed , is that enought ??? when i bought it i had to replace the piston , it only has 20 hrs on it , i am taking it to the upper pennisula in october, the engine is stock, someone told me i should have around 140psi, would 40psi make a world of difference???

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Compression
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 04:15:20 AM »
100 is low. Did you check it after putting in the new piston? Sometimes the gauges are off.

When you put in the new piston, were the lube holes drilled? Exhaust port bridge relieved? The piston will scuff up and stick the rings on the exhaust side very quickly if those things are not done.

matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »
no i didnt check it after i installed the new piston,and i didnt do the modifications to the piston or exhaust bridge, i recently ran across the procedure at aftershock motorsports website, thank you very much for the info

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:32:08 PM »
It most likely has partially stuck the rings then. It will continue to get worse until it no longer starts. You could possibly put in the same size piston with just a honing of the cylinder.

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »
I have stuck the rings before myself I just removed them carefully and replaced them and filed the ring land a little to open it up to fit the new rings
Thank you
"The Nut"