Author Topic: Rear shock base adapter thing... think i can heli-coil it?  (Read 2029 times)

dangumjessum

• View Profile
So, the 350 is alive and well, got through the first tank in it, and once i started getting into it a little more on the second tank, and started sliding around the back end a bit, i ripped the shock piston/rod out of the bottom peice that bolts to the lower rear axle carrier, the thing that holds the spring onto the shock, and that holds the shock onto the lower axle carrier.  It looks like someone didn't have a spring compressor handy and didn't thread the base piece all the way on, becuase the top two threads on the shock rod had a bit of the material in them that they pulled out of the allow base piece, and only the top two threads of the adapter piece looked clean (albeit ripped out) and the inner/lower threads looked dirty/oxidized, like it wasn't threaded in that far to begin with.  Took spring assembly off oddy and the base piece threads right on down to the jamnut(w/o spring on of course), seems that just the first couple threads got pulled out.  The advice i seek is: Use a nice spring compressor and simply thread that base piece/spring holder in all the way down to the jamnut (which it didnt look like it was before) and see how that goes, OR Drill the base alloy peice out and Heli-coil it back to OEM size?  Which one do you guys think will be stronger?  I will of course EVENTUALLY be going to the works shocks, but that isn't really an option for me at the moment.  Thanks guys!
85 Fl350 overbored and Nicom plated back to 82mm. wiseco. ram-air airbox, Carbon-tech low-mid reeds, 32mm PE carb (for the moment) Older DG Exhaust w/straight through 'Champion' silencer,  Air-cooled (for the moment). 102c clutch

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Rear shock base adapter thing... think i can heli-coil it?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:00:11 AM »
I would save the cost of the heli-coil kit to put toward the Works shocks. If you can't afford them right now, then maybe just thread it back in all the way as a stop gap. Use permanent Locktite.

dangumjessum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:05:45 PM »
Super glad to hear from you on both posts Livewire, i appreciate your time!  Im going to give this a try for the time being.  My priority list as it stands right now is:
1.water cooled head
2.Better silencer w/spark arrestor for forest service lands (and yes, my setup is LOUD right now...)
3. Bigger Carb
4. Works shocks
5. new tires (mine sat flat for about 9 years, hold air now but super flat-spotted on flat ground. may need to bump this priority up at some point sooner. lol)

Expensive priority list going!  Glad i can take my exhaust pipe off the list though! Happy trails (and dunes, and fields) everyone!
85 Fl350 overbored and Nicom plated back to 82mm. wiseco. ram-air airbox, Carbon-tech low-mid reeds, 32mm PE carb (for the moment) Older DG Exhaust w/straight through 'Champion' silencer,  Air-cooled (for the moment). 102c clutch

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 02:38:46 PM »
I would move the shocks up to the top.