Author Topic: Small oil leak after rebuild!  (Read 4318 times)

Marty

• View Profile
Small oil leak after rebuild!
« on: November 27, 2019, 10:40:51 PM »
Super bummed:(.   I just finished a complete FL250 engine rebuild with new Nachi (made in Japan) bearings, good condition crankshaft and after pressure testing all seemed well. Unfortunately, now that I've got everything dialed in I noticed a small amount of oil getting passed the oil seal on the clutch side of the motor. I sprayed some carb cleaner but rpm's remained the same. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but with the kids over for Thanksgiving tomorrow it'll be getting some use. Could it be a bad (brand new) bearing? Crank?  I guess when I get time I should redo the pressure test. Oh well - Hope ya'll have a good Thanksgiving,   Marty.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Small oil leak after rebuild!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »
Sounds like you have a plan for what I would suggest. I would also look at if the oil is actually coming from the exhaust and making it's way there. There is very little oil behind the crank seals.

Marty

• View Profile
Re: Small oil leak after rebuild!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »
Thanks LiveWire, I will double check the exhaust leak angle. The boys had a blast riding the Odyssey over Thanksgiving so....  counting that as a win. We're having a bit of a cold blast at the moment but will try to track down the leak when the weather cooperates. Thanks for all your help 8)