Author Topic: Fl350 won't idle  (Read 17167 times)

Wcc

• View Profile
Fl350 won't idle
« on: August 17, 2019, 07:22:30 PM »
Newbie here..  lol. 

It was running great and then the spark plug fouled out and now it won't idle.  I noticed the choke cable threads separated from the nut top.  It took a while to get the threaded portion out of the carburetor.

But, if I leave it removed it idles after some adjustments it runs good but if I plug the hole it dies.  Any ideas what's going on here?

Wcc

• View Profile
Re: Fl350 won't idle
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 09:12:40 PM »
Ok, I think it clicked...  When the choke is pulled it blocks the air and when it's not air must be allow to move through the opening.  So when I block it the air can't move and it simulates full choke and kills motor.  Any input or corrections let me know.

Wcc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
Well, I ordered a new choke cable.  But i was able to glue the old one back together and it screwed back in and it still won't idle.  It does for a little bit and then stalls.  I have the idle screw turned all the way in and I adjusted the mix some.  Now it won't idle and it bogs down at full throttle.  I run 20:1 but see most are running 32:1 so I'm going to top off the tank with that and see what happens.  Any ideas or suggestions?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:02:05 PM »
Check compression. Should have 138 psi.

It isn't technically a choke, it is an enrichment valve. When pulled, it opens a passage to allow extra fuel in. You are likely right that when missing, it was sucking air, but that was in addition to the extra fuel it would suck from the 'choke' being on. If the piece that is pulled by the cable is shoved down in the hole and held tight, the choke should be off.

The stock idle jetting already tends to be rich at idle. I suggest dropping the slow jet from the stock 52 to a 45.

Wcc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 12:45:21 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  Long story short, I got it running and my daughter hit a tree with it.  So while it's been sitting waiting for parts I replaced all the fuel lines, filter, check valve, rebuilt carb and adj the float, replaced choke, installed heavy duty tie rods, etc.  Runs like a top now.  I ordered a fuel pump rebuild kit for it as well.

I'll have to look for that new jet.  Bc it is rich when it's idling.  I never checked the compression so I'll put that on my list too.  But it has plenty of power..   8)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »
The behavior of the slow jet being too big is if you run wide open throttle, come to a stop then punch the throttle right away, it is crisper than if it has been idling.

Aztekjav

• View Profile
Idle setting
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 05:34:06 PM »
Where do I connect a tachometer so set the correct idle speed?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 07:48:35 PM »
You can connect a tach to the wire going to the coil. The tach has to be one that will read high enough RPM unless just using for idle. It also has to have a setting for a 2 cylinder engine. Many offer 4,6,8 setting. One that works with a 2 cyl 4 stroke will work for a single cylinder 2 stroke.

This says works with 1-12cyl.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/41272/10002/-1