Author Topic: spark pick up coil gap  (Read 2808 times)

bbuescher

• View Profile
spark pick up coil gap
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »
I have a question on the air gap for the pick up coil. The repair manual does not speak of this, except in the troubleshooting section.  I have spark at the spark plug with the plug out and no spark with the spark plug installed. The CDI has been swapped with one from a running machine. So either the air gap is to large, or I have a bad stator, which was ohm'd out and is in spec, according to the repair manual. I would like to know what the air gap should be, before I go out and find a replacement stator, anyone know what the gap should be?

atvnut

• View Profile
Re: spark pick up coil gap
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:38:47 PM »
Try starting this with the pull starter. A bad starter,wiring to the starter, or weak battery will cause this same problem. Let me know your results
Thank you
"The Nut"

bbuescher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 10:11:25 AM »
Hi,

I will try with the pull rope later this weekend. I have the stator open to check the gap, at this time. I have been using a jumper cable with a car battery so I would be surprised if it was a battery problem, being you do not even need a battery to run. I will let you know what happened.

bbuescher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 05:34:29 PM »
Try starting this with the pull starter. A bad starter,wiring to the starter, or weak battery will cause this same problem. Let me know your results

Sure enough, tried again with the starter and this time I left the lights on, and you then could see the drain the starter was putting on the 12 volt system, the light would go very very dim. Pull started and if fired 3 pull. Thanks for your help.