Author Topic: TeamTech Helmet Harness  (Read 2165 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
TeamTech Helmet Harness
« on: December 06, 2005, 12:33:30 AM »
After taking quite a lot of neck strain (and pain) in a flip this year, I looked into head restraints. The most famous being the HANS Device. I priced a HANS at around $900 US. A bunch of money, but I like for my neck to work, so I decided to buy one. Before I got around to ordering it, I learned of the Tucker Helmet Harness, or THH, from Teamtech. After studying the design and method of the THH, and reading about it, I concluded that it would work for me, and decided to buy one.

I contacted Brian at 45th Parallel ATV Products, who I knew was a Teamtech dealer, and he ordered one for me. It arrived in a very timely fashion, and I set about installation of the D rings to my helmet. You need to locate the spot on your helmet, drill a 3/16th hole, and pop rivet the D ring to it. You need to furnish a pop rivet gun to attach them. They supply the rivet. While I didn't like drilling my helmet, the same thing must be done to use the HANS Devive. It was no problem.

From there it's just a matter of putting it on and adjusting it. It's very much like a back support with shoulder straps, so it goes on the same way. I found I didn't need to adjust the helmet teathers until I fastened the regular seat belts. The only problem I had was fastening the quick release clips on the helmet teathers to the D rings. The shoulder belts must be lain  over the THH before attaching the helmet teathers, so they must be attached in the buggy. I've done it about 5 to 7 times, and it gets easier each time. So, short of crashing on purpose, I have no way of judging it's effectivness, other than tugging my head around. It seems very effective at that, (see video) and I feel it was a good purchase. I hope I don't have any field testing results any time soon!

Video Link:
http://www.p-o-ps.com/forum/gallery/albums/Tucker_helmet_harness.wmv

Thanks for the write-up Dave ;)

Ozpilot

• View Profile
TeamTech Helmet Harness
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 09:49:20 PM »
Dave, thanks for going to all that effort - it's great to really see what the alternatives on this type of product are.  It's often difficult to see from advertising whether products will work out how you imagine.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
TeamTech Helmet Harness
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 07:00:39 PM »
Hey, Brian, can you still get the Tucker Helmet Harness? I would like to buy another one. I let other people race my spare buggy from time to time, and I feel funny wearing one and not having one for them. Also, if you can still get the harness, can you get extra D rings that mount to the helmet, in case they can't fit in my spare helmet? I would like to give them the option to add the D rings to their helmet. Maybe 3 extra sets of D rings, if they aren't too costly. Thanks, Dave C.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

ludedude

• View Profile
TeamTech Helmet Harness
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:15:57 PM »
Hi Dave,

Just sent a reply to your email ;)  I'm selling the online store and I'd rather not put any orders through now so there's nothing in limbo. If it falls through (next 2-3 weeks I think) I'll be happy to put an order through.

Brian

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
TeamTech Helmet Harness
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 10:58:26 PM »
10-4. I'll check back in a few weeks.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)