Author Topic: 35mm pwk air striker jetting assistance needed  (Read 3817 times)

atvpheen

• View Profile
35mm pwk air striker jetting assistance needed
« on: March 09, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
First of all, thanks for all the great info on these forums.  I purchased a 1985 Fl350r a few years back from a guy in Jersey. It wasn't running then and it isn't running now. I didn't pay much so I was ok knowing I had a project ahead of me. Motor is completely stock. I've been buying all the aftermarket parts that I could find for it since I purchased it. Bought the farr offroad bolt on front suspension with a arms, 35mm pwk air striker carb, new Douglas .190 aluminum rear rims with Kenda claw tires, metal man's custom kn air filter kit , trx450r radiator and new rands water cooled head. It already had progressive dual rear shocks, supertrapp full exhaust with silencer, comet 102c race clutch. I plan on doing a acid cleaning on the gas tank and to seal it for longevity. With the 35mm pwk air striker carb, where should I start with my jetting? I ride 0 to 3,500 feet above sea level. Any helpful info is appreciated.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Re: 35mm pwk air striker jetting assistance needed
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »
There really is no way to do more than make a guess. I kept melting pistons in my 350 trying to run the same jetting as my friend. They were both pure stock. Put the biggest jet you have in, and if it runs clean, STOP! Put bigger ones in until it blubbers, then jet down until it runs clean.

If you ride hard, change those Progressive shocks. They will break and take out your axle.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

atvpheen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »
I'm glad you pointed out the progressive shocks being a problem. I wasn't sure if anyone else had or seen the dual rear shock setup before. The previous owner said they were real stiff anyways. One of the progressive brackets that mounts to the frame is already broken from the previous owner rolling it. I was planning on welding and repairing it. But I'll probably just get a set of works for the rear to be safe. I'll do what you said about starting with the biggest main jet and work my way down. It makes sense. I mostly trail ride so I would like the lowest clutch engagement to maneuver through sometimes tight spots. I bought this primarily so my wife or a friend can come out riding and be safe. With the comet 102c, what needs to be done to get clutch to engage lower than 3000 rpm? I bought a pink spring already, but not sure if that is all I need. Thanks for the help

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 10:03:49 PM »
Two shocks per side. That's a new one to me. I mis-read it as dual rate springs. The set up I've seen fail were one shock per side, so my advise may not be accurate.

I don't have much experience with 102c, so I can't help with it.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)