Author Topic: 1981 FL250 was running great, now won't start.  (Read 3328 times)

Kevin8520

• View Profile
1981 FL250 was running great, now won't start.
« on: July 04, 2016, 01:28:42 AM »
Hello all! Long time listener, first time caller.

I have a 1981 FL250. I have owned it for about 3 years and it has been working great. This is a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) bike, no points here. The bike is completely stock.

My FL250 has always started on the second pull - choke on, 1/4 throttle as I pull and all is well. Last weekend it started acting up and I am lost on what to check next.

I went to Pismo Beach (Oceano Dunes), pulled the bike out of the trailer and it started right up. I ran it for about 10 minutes and that was the last time it worked as expected. The bike is very hard to start now. I have gotten it started twice since my return home and once it starts it runs great. I have replaced the spark plug, cleaned the air filter, and cleaned the carb. I am getting spark (verified by holding the plug against the head and visually verifying spark). I am also getting fuel (it has ran twice since I have returned from Pismo and I have removed the fuel hose inlet and fuel is flowing).

My FL250 is gravity fed by a 5 gallon tank. I have the stock gas tank on the bike but I do not use it.

I am not an Engine guy and I am lost on what to do next. I know there is a key on the flywheel that controls timing and that the key can get sheared off. If the key was sheared off, would the bike ever start? I also know the stator can go bad, but if it was bad would there still be spark? I have a newish CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box (installed by previous owner) but was under the impression the bike wouldn't even try to turn over if the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) was bad. The exhaust pipe does have two small cracks right by the exhaust port..but I think they have always been there; could this cause hard start/no start?

Can I get your opinions on what to do next? I love my little FL250 but I don't know where to go from here.

I am located in Southern California.

Thank you!

Rj1

• View Profile
Re: 1981 FL250 was running great, now won't start.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 03:32:55 PM »
What kind of spark are you getting . Is it a blue strong spark . If the woodruff key broke off it would not stay running . Check your resistance on the exciter coil and the pulse coil . I think the exciter coil should be around 240 and the pulse should be between 20 and 60 . There are 3 things a 2 stroke needs to run 1 air 2 fuel 3spark . Also check your ground wire . You say it runs good when you get it to start but its very hard to start