Author Topic: Stock FL350 Shocks  (Read 4421 times)

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stock FL350 Shocks
« on: October 29, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »
Just got bored and tore down a known worn rear FL350 shock. Not a drop of oil in it...this does not look like a gas charged shock. No internal floating piston or separate gas chamber at all. It is possible to try to rebuild this shock...if it is a fluid only shock. Has anyone tried this before...finding a seal head...and a good fluid capacity and type? Honda manual obviously has nothing about rebuilding shocks on the 350.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stock FL350 Shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »
I have never ridden an ody with stock shocks...what is the major issue with them? Too harsh/stiff or too soft? Are they a shock that packs up over chop and then delivers a smash at the bottom over something that would make them bottom out? Or are they like a pogo stick that causes the machine to be too loose in the back? Just curious...I have a seal kit Im gonna try from Honda on order. Its a part number for an 80's CR80 rear showa shock. Dimensions look to be the same for the dust and oil seals. Gonna see what I get...its an 8 dollar kit still available from Honda...the next thing will be what qty. and type of oil to put in. If nobody has any fill spec this could be time consuming.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »
My 350 was like a hard tail, no compression to speak of. I'm not sure if they were froze up or not.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

b s

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:59:01 PM »
they actually ride  a whole lot better with no oil in the shock at all

Some people just rip the seals out of them and drain out all the oil and there a softer ride that way

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:18:26 AM »
No way would I ever drain a hydro shock...and let the insides just get destroyed. Not very good advise BS...thanks for chiming in...but that just sounds like something Hoser would tell you to do. I spent some time fiddling with the worst shock I have. (pitted shaft and dented cap missing bottom out rubber cushion) Used a seal kit from a CR80...and tried first adding SS-8 (10w) oil. At about 4.5 oz it was just about full above the shim stack...but when you compress it...you only get 1 1/2-2 1/2 inches of travel on the shaft. It gets progressively stiff until it wont compress anymore by hand. (figured that was too stiff) So then I drained the 10w and added 4.5oz of SS-7 (5w) oil. That's the ticket...shaft travels all the way to the bumper by hand...but gets progressively stiff just before contacting it.

This is how I'm going to try a set of shocks on one of my Ody's...but much snow on the ground here already...