Author Topic: What to look for on a FL350R purchase?  (Read 6079 times)

RobDek

• View Profile
What to look for on a FL350R purchase?
« on: July 04, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »
I'm going to check out this FL350R next week or so, what do I need to know before pulling the trigger?  How would I know for certain that it has a post-recall engine?  The machine sure looks good from the pics and while I'm slightly handy in the garage and willing to learn, I don't want to get buried in a project from the get go.

On the engine pics, the cooling fins are straight, don't the replacements have angled fins?

Thanks!!!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:30:04 AM by RobDek »

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What to look for on a FL350R purchase?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:27:21 PM »
That's a nice oddy!!! Don't let the head stop you if its a decent price...

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  If this machine didn't make it back to a dealer for the recall...what is needed and how much would it cost to bring it up to snuff?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »
Just a head... I would guess you could pick one up for a couple hundred bucks at the most...

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:07:36 AM »
I have used post-recall heads. I will sell one for $50.

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:45:36 AM »
Good to hear that it's not a deal breaker!!!

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:45:01 AM »
Yeah that is in damn nice condition for sure. Was that a barn find...or what lol. NEVER seen one with the straight finned head around here.

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 08:30:43 AM »
It followed me home...

Also came with two spare engines...both NOS with the factory coating on the pistons still intact.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:19:35 AM by RobDek »

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:29:38 AM »
Nice job...looks like a really nice 350. Now that you got it at your place...jack it up and check all of your suspension bearings, wheel bearings, axle joints, and suspension arm pivot points. Im sure even as nice as it is...you will find some play somewhere. It wont be something that will EVER be totally tight everywhere...but it would be a good idea to check and grease the points...and asses any loose points that would become a safety issue...or tear up parts from being stuck/worn/loose. I would download a manual for reference and do a WOT compression test. Both before and after you change the straight finned head. Numbers for correct compression will be in there. Would not surprise me if you found a close to original bore size on that baby.

Take a look under it at the frame...check for bashes. Especially check for damage on the tubes that drop down in the front to guard the steering post and rods. They get hit quite frequently.

If all is good and safe...ride that girl...tell us how she goes.

WOW...two extra engines. Yeah man...this was a good purchase if you ask me. They look like they are pre-recall so may be worth doing some updating before being run. Also may be worth running the engine numbers through Honda to see if you got two updated spares or two that got removed before the buggies got sold at the dealer in 1985/1986.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:37:40 AM by Factory 45 »

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 11:34:46 AM »
It's all been done!!!  ;-)

Just needs a couple of small things....slow leak in one tire, the change switch is faulty and the front brake lines need to be bled, and the harness needs to be installed.  The engine is brand new.  If I'm going to replace the head, still debating to go all the way and go water cooled.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »
You could really build a monster powerhouse engine out of a spare...and keep the original one stock. If you go water cooled and have to mount a radiator/hoses/pump...I would try not to rape or permanently modify the chassis. That machine looks too nice to butcher lol.

PS...would install the harness...before you go on a serious ride. If its your first FL...make sure you use your wrist straps...always buckle in and helmet up. They can chuck you around in the cockpit and with no helmet you can get your bell rung pretty easily.

The brakes may be out of adjustment...and may just need a few turns to get a good stiff lever. They have annoying drum front brakes and get worn...and the handle becomes ineffective. If that is what is needed (not bleeding) try to set the fronts evenly as it will pull under hard braking to the side that is set tighter.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:05:24 PM by Factory 45 »

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 01:23:37 PM »
Nope, no cutting or modifying the frame.  I'd use brackets that use existing holes or clamps.  The buggy is for my kids, so no extreme mods.  I thought of starting a new topic on how to limit the power or throttle response until I'm comfortable with their skills.  The harness just needs the padding to be resewn and a couple of fasteners.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 09:57:36 PM »
I would just replace the harness rather than taking a chance with safety equipment. I would suggest replacing the crank seals before using one of those engines. They will be dried out and suck air. If planning to use as is, I would also pull the cylinder, relieve the bridge and drill the lube/cooling hole in the piston.

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 07:14:49 AM »
The harness itself is fine and secure, it's just the stitching on the padded collar has let go...no big deal really.  Yes, I plan to pull the engine and make those modifications but it will have to wait until fall or winter.

Many thanks!!!