Author Topic: New fl250 owner with a few questions.  (Read 4499 times)

Pyro roadie

• View Profile
New fl250 owner with a few questions.
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »
Hi all :) So i'm curious about the transmission on the 250, is there a way to dis engage it? It's a bear to push when it's in gear, would love to be able to put it in neutral to move it around.

I've read that being an air cooled engine, overheating might be a concern, I live in Las Vegas, and it's super hot in the summer obviously, so I though of doing a ram air mod, wondering if it's necessary. I want to fabricate to air intakes, then run a 4" hose to just over the head, so the air as the buggy moves will be forced to blow on the head aiding in cooling, sound like a good idea?
My front plastic tub is kinda weather worn, and I'd like to paint it, or use a spray on bed liner?any particular budget minded products that are recommended?would like to retain the original color red if I can.

Anyone recommend an aftermarket seat for the fl250? The stock seat is in near perfect shape, just not so comfy for me, I'm 6' and like having a little more back support, plus the racing seats look nicer, just not sure what seats would fit on the frame?new to all this lol.

Suspension, I know it's gonna cost a little to re-do it?would love to do "A" arms front and back, rather than cut the frame and make a pivot.  Or maybe just do leave springs and short travel shocks?not looking for a trophy truck deal, just a little more comfy or a ride. I know some frame welding will be needed, just curious of what kind of cost i'd be getting into doing that. And as well, is doing all that going to add too much weight that it'd take away from speed and performance?

Are the stock tires ok for sand use or must I get paddles?

Do muffler mods or add on's really help with the noise, or is that just part of it, I don't mind it, but it'd be nice to shush it a tad, I'd like to install a stereo eventually :)

If I install a car battery, is there a way to have the buggy recharge it as I drive, or would I have to keep it on a charger when not in use? I want to install a small 12v auto fan for the engine to use when needed, and as well some nice LED lights and the stereo if I can figure out where to mount it lol?I'm thinking a decent car battery would power all that for a day's use, so if I need to recharge it at home before next use i'm ok with that, would just be nice to be able to have it charging while in use.

Are there any ways to host horsepower or speed without changing the engine out? Things a novice could do?

ANyone think it'd be possible to modify trailer fenders to work with the fl250? I'd like to have diamond plate fenders, not just for look, but an extra place to mount gear, camping gear, small cooler, fire extinguisher, extra fuel,emergency kit?things like that.

Any help and or advise would be very much appreciated, I've always wanted something like this, and it's going to be a fun project?had some fun driving it, now it's time to tear it all apart and start cleaning it up, fixing little things and making it personalized.

It's quick, runs great and is in great shape [physically, previous owner took god care of it. I have a lot of ideas for mods, just don't wanna spend a fortune
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:43:36 PM by Pyro roadie »

ZeroClient

• View Profile
Re: New fl250 owner with a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:57:23 AM »
Don't install LEDs or a radio.

Check your brakes are not dragging by adjusting them properly. Lube anything stuck or sticking with the E-Brake.
The charging system may be a 6v system if your kart is older than about 1980 and is a points system.  I think the CDI based system from 80+ used a 12v system.

Pyro roadie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:46:50 AM »
Everything actually runs great, the brakes are in great shape?tore it down last night, last vertical roll bar behind the seat is not wanting to come out, i'll likely paint it in place. As for the charging system, there's a single wire coming out of the pull start casing, but that's it?I figured i'd keep it simple and run a battery to power my lights and fan?But why not install LED's? Or a radio? They're brighter and use way less juice?plus with a new brake light and a pair of round headlights; i think it would look and preform pretty nicely. A friend is taking my engine and having the cylinder bored out and a new slightly larger piston installed, said it'll give it a little more kick :))

ZeroClient

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 07:34:01 AM »
When you said radio AND LEDs I thought BLING.  I guess an LED headlight and LED brake light are fine; but kinda un-necessary.  It sounds like you have the 6v system though so make sure you check.  Do you have a CDI 'box' or are wires just going to an ignition coil?  If you do NOT have a CDI then its a 6v system.  I guess you can probably find 6v headlight in LED.  Im not sure on how the brake light works because honestly my FL250 doesn't have a brake light <anymore>.

I would NOT have the engine bored out until you do a compression test. It would be a shame to do that on a perfect engine.  If the compression is low then you are free to do a bore with new piston but your friend should know what he is doing at his machine shop and not in his back-yard.

Forget the radio.  It will only get destroyed in the bumps and by slung mud/water.

flynryan87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
how would you ever  hear the radio anyways. I wear ear plugs when riding mine

Pyro roadie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 09:44:17 PM »
Now that I think about it, the radio might be a tad much, though it's doubtful i'll see mud in NV lol..it makes sense that'd it'd likely be damaged sooner than later, plus the volume would be an issue also? As for checking compression before new piston, I will definitely look into that before taking that step?thank you.