Author Topic: No spark  (Read 3969 times)

VooBoo

• View Profile
No spark
« on: April 02, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »
Hello everyone. Need some electrical help with my oddysseys.
First off I am terrible with electrical issues. I am learning as I go. Complete newb. And seeing as anyone I know hates it or doesn't know either. I am coming here. From what I find online for help they don't talk specifics and only in general terms.  Example. points and gaping. Says 35mm but what and were doesn't say...
Very hard to find direct answers searching online.

8years ago I got one complete odyssey red 1982. Yellow 1977 not running. Another yellow one in pieces and two extra motors.
I ran that first one for about 2years and loved it. Lost spark and fumbled my way around with swapping engines and worked for other month then nothing. Tried getting ppls help and doing It on my own and online. Gave up.sat for 5years now.
Last year I traded a gio bike for I think non running 84 fl250. Cleaned it out and she ran like a rapped ape. Fell in love again. Forgot how much fun they are.
Question
Did they come with factory side rails like the pilots. Seems like this one did. Weld job is stellar.
It didn't have a light. Hooked a light up and gave it a pull and nothing. Now I got no spark.
Question
How do you test stator. On 80's model and 70's. Factory manual doesn't give much info on this. I did test for ohms and one wire doesn't give me anything.
Question. I get there is points and Cdi. What reading should I get testing with a multi meter. On each wire.
Question. One of the engines I have has 3wires. Yellow black white wire. Engine tbo4e-2007090 3wires
So is this points or Cdi? And what reading should it get.?
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. Hard to prof read on a iphone.

Everything is mixed up and spread out. 5years and moved. So kinda lost things

Marty

• View Profile
Re: No spark
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 08:17:32 PM »
Wow, I could really use some help with this as well. I have an 83 odyssey with a weak yellow spark. I can hold the spark plug while I pull the recoil and although I can feel the spark, I don't have to let go! I have replaced the spark plug coil, pulled the flywheel and checked and cleaned the magnet and stator - but no luck:(.  Anyway, VooBoo I can help with some of your questions. I think in 1981 the oddyseys went to a cdi capacitor discharge ignition. Earlier models used points. I hope someone will suggest a better test for the stator coils. For the lighting coil do an ohm's test between the yellow and green wires (my reading is 1), Exiter coil - test the Black/red and green wires look for resistance of 245 +/- 20%  (My reading is 198.5). Pulse coil check blue/yellow and green stator wires, resistance of 20 - 60 ohms My reading is 30.7)  Both old and new spark plug coil test primary 0.2 - 0.8 Ohms (mine is 0.4) and also test the secondary coil which should be 8000 - 15000 ohms  (Both old and brand new coils read 1 which is open) Either the specs are wrong or both old and new coil give same reading or I'm doing something wrong.  Hopefully, Someone much smarter than me can give us a better way to test ignition and stator coils. Thanks again.

flynryan87

• View Profile
Re: No spark
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:14:03 PM »
my spark is not that great so I just ordered everything new from the inside of the motor to the spark plug. drives ya nuts chasing down the problems. still waiting on the parts