Author Topic: Hiper wheels  (Read 3588 times)

toyman280

• View Profile
Hiper wheels
« on: April 09, 2014, 12:12:10 PM »
I see a few pics of hiPer wheels on there pilot. When I contacted them they said they do not make the rear ones you need the (4/130) just wondering if anyone here knows what you need to do to  make them work. They do make the front (4/110) Thanks.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hiper wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 07:10:33 AM »
The Hiper Company is switching gears to put their wheels on SXS and cars and trucks as well as ATVs these days. I have a set on my pilot...but it wasn't just a bolt on in the rear. The rear hubs had to be lathed down slightly to work with the Hipers. The REAR is the problem. 4x130 is such an obsolete pattern that they have to out-source (they have always had them made by a separate machinist) the hubs or wheel center piece. So its basically about the lack of demand. The fronts are an easy build for FL350 and 400...the 4x110 is still a very popular pattern. The last FRONT set I got for a 350 has a center piece from a 4x110/4x115 rear wheel (used for MOST rear MX and YAM/HON sport quad rear Tech-3 wheels) which they generally have in stock due to their popularity.

With my FL 400 I put a 4x130 rear and a 4x144 front set of hipers on. The fronts I built a couple sets of 6061 spacer/pattern change hubs so I wouldn't have a set of 4x110 fronts (eventually planning on hanging a set of ATV front disc brake spindles hubs and brakes...and have another Honda sport quad in my garage that I could drop em on in a pinch)

With my buddy's 350 It actually has a set of 4x110 fronts AND rear Hipers. Aftershock has a set of 4x110 rear hubs to convert the 4x130 setup. (THIS MOD CURRENTLY IS AVAIL ONLY FOR FL350) I did that mod 2-3 yrs ago...and at that time the reason I did it was the same as what you are finding now. Meaning Hiper was difficult to secure a set of 4x130 rears due to lack of demand.

I like the Hipers...and they are bullet proof when it comes to rocks and hard terrain. I was sponsored by them when I was racing ATV-MX. But they may be difficult to put on a FL 400 due to the discontinued center section.

toyman280

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »
I contacted OMF Performance and they make a set of front and rear beadlocks for the pilot. Looking at running mud lights I think stock size any opinions. I ride in the mountains and old logging roads. Very ruff and rocky.   

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 08:37:07 AM »
Several years ago, we took a trip to Coal Creek which is rocky mountain trails. There were somewhere around 40 or 50 pilots there that weekend... I saw so many mud lites with sidewall punctures that weekend, I swore I would never buy a set. If you are looking for that tread pattern, the GBC dirt devil is a tire I have had decent results with. If I had my number one pic, it would be ITP holeshot hd's. 6ply and wear very good.... The tread pattern works very well on the fronts too...
Hoodlum

toyman280

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 12:26:56 PM »
That's what I run on my Raptor and have also good luck. I have had them on for a few years now only one hole but I ride in ruff terrain, and love to drift.  I did go up a size to get  a little more clearance on the raptor rear end is low. Is there a big difference in performance between the two stiles of tires, or just preference. 

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 06:34:14 PM »
Toyman...have you seen how they make OMF's ? They take a Douglas wheel (VERY flimsy) and band saw it in half. They then weld a custom wheel half in place with a beadlock ring on it. So what you start with is an overpriced douglas wheel. If you are gonna bang around in the woods...don't go fancy...go rugged. I would go with some steel wheels with HD 6-ply Holeshots.