Author Topic: Hmmm made a mistake- poured diesel in the top end  (Read 3990 times)

funinoly

• View Profile
Hmmm made a mistake- poured diesel in the top end
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:49:25 PM »
when I bought pilot #2 it had blown a piston and previous owner removed the cylinder. It sat for 5+ years under cover with a rag stuffed in the case where the cylinder would usually be. in cleaning things up it appeared that there were alluminum metal shavings around the opening and a few in the case.  I found a piece of the piston that was cut. no idea why. I vacuumed as much as I could and thought hey I can pour some diesel don and flush out the case our the oil drain plub. so I poured two cups of diesel in and nothing poured out the bottom. Hmmm bummer. well I have sucked 90% of what I poured in out with my brake bleeding tool.
So big question did I screw anything up by doing this? do I need to get all the diesel out?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hmmm made a mistake- poured diesel in the top end
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
U havnt screwed up. Stand it up on its ass end and it should come out the top. If nothing came out of the drain then there is no balancer oil in it. Don't run it until there is. There is a service download on this site. It will explain better.

funinoly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:10:59 AM »
I got to looking at what I sucked out and there are some metal chips and gereral dirt. not alot of metal but definately some. Im thinking I need to pull the motor and properly flush it.
thoughts? should I split the case? do not really want to go there.
I had previously  drained the balancer oil and incorrectly thought it drained all of the case.
where do I find the service download.
thanks
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:16:50 AM by funinoly »

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile

shoubadaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:09:17 PM »
Metal shavings in the balancer oil is normal. Its from the starter gear from starting

shoubadaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 11:13:30 PM »
Can you explain where you poured the fuel? was it in the balancer area in the oil fill area on the front of the engine or did you pour it into the crank area below the cylinder?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »
I am taking it as the counter balancer plug was removed then diesel poured on the crank. Hoodlum is assuming there was no oil in the balancer based on the nothing came out, but maybe oil came out. Just nothing came out when diesel poured on the crank? That would be good since it would mean bad seals. I am also taking it that the metal is in the crank case. If that metal is steel, 100%, the engine needs to be torn down. If that metal is aluminum dust from a piston, a rinse may be enough. I would repeat the rinse until you do not get a silver hue then one more time to be sure. At least the last rinse should be mixed 2 stroke gas. You can put a rubber strap like an X trough the connecting rod and around the cylinder studs to hold it fairly centered while pulling over. That will agitate the rinse and get more out. If you pull it fast enough, most of the fluid will get splashed out.

funinoly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:54:01 AM »
the cylinder is not installed so I poured it in the top of the motor onto the crank.
I previously drained the balancer oil.
it is shavings from the piston. not alot. I would guess that a hacksaw or sawzall was used. must not been able to get the piston pin out.
is the piston aluminum?
I can suck 95% of fluid out with my brake bleeding tool. also it is easy to turn over by pushing on the piston connecting rod.

thanks
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:01:37 AM by funinoly »

shoubadaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »
ok your best bet to make sure that area is clean is pull the bottom end out of the car and spray the area you poured the fuel into with carb cleaner a bunch of time and then turn the bottom end over and pour the carb cleaner out. Then take a rag and put it down between the crank journals and rotate the engine this will get anything else down in there out. after you have done this a few times inspected it with a flashlight to make sure its clean. Then take some mix oil and put a few drops in the holes that lube the main bearings and put some on the large end of the rod. Then get a manual and spec out the rod bearing to make sure its within spec. Drain your balancer oil and put fresh oil in before your finished with the rebuild.