Author Topic: Brake lines  (Read 4870 times)

funinoly

• View Profile
Brake lines
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:52:09 PM »
well my latest issue is getting the rear brakes to work. when I purchased rear brake line was not attached bolt was missing. I got a bolt tried to bleed it using a pnematic bledder with no luck. assumed it was master cylinder and got rebuild kit and installed. upon further review it would appear that I have blockage of the brake line.
a couple of questions.
with mastercylinder and bolt to rear claiper detached I should be able to blow air through the line? correct?
it would appear I have stainless lines from bars to somewhere under the floor, where it converts to a rigid line and then back to braided stainless at the rear brake. do stainless type lines colapse? I do not see any pinche points or kinks.
Thanks

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Brake lines
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:10:24 PM »
Stainless lines will not collapse... Have you made sure the metal hard lines aren't pinched somewhere? Did the bleeder draw any fluid at all?
Hoodlum

funinoly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:46:14 PM »
I have removed the bolt that connects the line to the brake so its open. I think I have seen all of the hard line and do not see any kinks.. I guess start taking joints apart and see. no fluid at all. but I cant get air to go through.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »
Yes, if you have the line disconnected at both ends, you should be able to blow air through. I would check two things though. 1, make sure the lines are not swapped making it so you have the rear lines disconnected at one end and the front line at the other. 2, I see you have the nut backed off that holds the small hard line to the master cylinder off. That line being so short is quite rigid. Did removing the nut actually open a gap up or is the line still pressed hard into the master cylinder?

funinoly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
I have removed the master cylinder so I could blow in it. i will start taking it apart.

funinoly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 09:19:04 PM »
well removed both stainless lines inspected the rigid line, no pinches or squeezes. yet I can not blow compressed air through the rigid line. stainless lines are fine.
IM thinking high pressure air to blow it out? maybe from my O2 bottle?
thoughts?
it looks like a pain to replace the rigied line. is it?
other products to replace with?
thanks
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:22:15 PM by funinoly »

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:40:13 AM »
The stainless lines that are on there apear to be these: http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL400R-Pilot/Brakes/Front-and-Rear-Stainless-Brake-Lines-Kit because I don't know of anyone else using the large nuts to hold the lines into the yoke. I can get you a stainless line to replace the hard line. Being flexible will make it easier to replace.

funinoly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 10:55:26 PM »
I like the idea if the stainless is a viable option. how do we proceed?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
You can email [email protected] or call 586-273-1333

If you call, just give your info to Ruby.

funinoly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 11:45:20 PM »
Well I got impatient waiting for a stainlees line to get made, so cut the old one just behind the tub. was able to remove the two halves. went to the local brake shop they made a new line with a connector where I had cut it. installed easy. line is not vinyl coated like original but I have skid plates that will protect it. so that problem seems solved. $43 for new line.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »
were you able to clip them back into the clips that hold them in place? I would at least split some fuel line to wrap around them where they might rub the frame or any other part of the pilot.... They also need to be fastened wether by the clips, zip ties or something to keep them from shaking around, or they will break in short order....
Hoodlum

funinoly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
Yes zip tied them into clips. used the old pieces that were on the original lines in the same places to pevent the line from rubbing.