Author Topic: Fill me in  (Read 6697 times)

Snappy

• View Profile
Fill me in
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:32:05 PM »
I just got a restored fl350 could use some advice on what not to do so I don't have any problems

shoubadaba

• View Profile
Re: Fill me in
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:47:21 PM »
Pick up a service manual for it. Check all the fluids and brakes do a plug chop to make sure your jetting is right. Get good quality 2 stroke oil (not walmart crap) mix with your fuel 32:1 (20 oz. to 5 gallons) and ride the crap out of it.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:53:37 AM »
Link to service manual:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B851Fdu_42hLdnRFSU10Y2FSb3V0NThNVVhfc094Zw

Make sure oil level in counter balancer is not above the low mark on the dip stick.
Make sure the boot from the carb to the air box is secure to the air box. I install the air box and carb all at one time with the boot installed off the machine. Otherwise it is hard to make sure the boot is secure to the air box and it can come off.
Change the oil in the gear box and look for a silver hue or any bits of metal in the oil you take out.
Wiggle the drive clutch on the engine looking for fore/aft or vertical play.
With the machine jacked up in the rear, check for any play in the U-joints.
The brake drums have two rubber plugs in them. One lets you check the amount of material on the shoes without removing the drum. The other is so you can adjust the brakes. They are manual adjust. I suggest adjusting them to where they just drag then let them wear in.

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:46:42 PM »
Thank you what about a etg

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
An EGT is a useful thing to have. It may save your engine if you notice temps going up when you get an air leak.

http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL350R-Odyssey/Electrical-Gauges/Digitron-Memory-EGT-CHT-Tach

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »
I'm not se to centrifugal clutch.It seems to launch hard spinning the tires and them the acceleration seems slow how long does it take to reach top speed.It is all stock.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 07:38:56 AM »
Get the service manual and check easy stuff first... Make sure the clutch is stock and the belt is within wear limits... There are many topics here on diagnosing clutch problems....

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 09:37:24 AM »
Service Manual

The stock slow jet in an FL350R is a 52. If that is what is still in it, I suggest dropping to a 45. That will make a significant improvement in throttle response. To get a glimpse of what the change would make or to somewhat test if already done: Run full throttle for a bit to clean the engine out. Stop quickly then immediately nail the throttle again. If it takes off much faster than after letting it sit at idle before taking off, then it still has the stock slow jet.

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 09:53:56 PM »
I'm good there but in the inspection I found crap in my fuel tank.It wasn't cleaned out flushed it about 10 times all good now going to put back together tomorrow and see what I have

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 09:18:30 PM »
Back together it's 100 degrees out to hot to play it was rich with the 142 jet took off the breather top for a spin oh yeah it runs good I won't be riding until it cools down so the jetting can wait.

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 09:21:15 PM »
Here she is

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
If you have the stock 52 slow jet, dropping the main or removing the air box lid will lean out full throttle offsetting the fuel left over in the bottom end from idle. When you run it a long time at full throttle, the puddle in the bottom end will get used up, EGTs will rise and you'll aluminum coat the inside of your exhaust.

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 11:36:04 PM »
I have the 45 I'm not going to ride much til it cools down.Iwill leave the box on it it's sluggish so be it I'm not going to blow it up

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »
So I have the 45 slow jet and I have a 142 main jet like I said It won't run right unless I take the breather top off I tried a 140 jet still not right .It runs perfect and hard with the breather top off .It has a stock pipe a can normally get a 2 stroke dialed in but this thing is kicking my ass.I rode this morning when it was 70 I changed jets and the needle same results .It runs best with 45!slow jet 142 main and no breather top it's like night and day.I could use some advice I plug chopped it with the breather top off and it was perfect but I now it's not right.Someone throw me a bone here.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
If it runs good with the lid off, then it's still too rich..... Continue to jet down until it runs with the lid on, or make a dual intake for it so it will draw more air.... The main jet size will depend on many different things... Temperature, humidity, elevation, fuel/oil mixture, etc.