Author Topic: Got a screw stuck in the clutch help it bent as i did not use a grade 8 bolt ???  (Read 4216 times)

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
Got a screw stuck in the clutch help it bent as i did not use a grade 8 bolt ??? It is stuck in the crank and is bent inside the clutch ??? Any thoughts how to remove it ?????

Athis

• View Profile
Pictures would help. Can you post a pic?

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
Let me try to post new to this so let me try

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
Any ideas  ???? The bolt is stuck cuz it bent on me also its thinner then the retaining bolt so i think it is wedged in to the crank:(

nevadanotch

• View Profile
Idea #1..... if there is enough treads accessible in the end of the clutch, you can try to hydraulic it off.  Lean the motor on its side so the clutch is facing straight up.  Pour the open end of the threaded area full of oil.   Wrap teflon around the bolt that threads into the clutch and use an impact wrench to force it off.

Idea #2.....Being very careful not to damage the threads in the clutch, you can try to drill the end of the bolt and try to snag it out with an easy out.
High Speed Soil Sampler!

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
Not sure how idea one will work i use the same bolt and drive it further in ????

nevadanotch

• View Profile
That's why I said....If there is enough room.   Your pictures are a little too small for an old guy like me to see clearly! :)   One method of removing a clutch is by means of hydraulic pressure.  You fill the end of the clutch area with motor oil and then run the bolt that fits the treads of the clutch into the clutch itself.   Since the oil has no where to go it will force the clutch off the end of the crank.

Caution....When using this method the clutch can be under great pressure and when it comes off, it will come off with a loud bang and it might bounce back at you.   I have used this method several times to remove an Ody cluch.   Another warning, its very messy!

I was also thinking that you could drill the end of the bolt and then tap it for a good grade bolt that you can thread into the broken bolt so you can get a good grip on it.
High Speed Soil Sampler!

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
Yes i can thread the bolt in but it has a hole in the center i used the original screw to try to press it out so i would need a solid bolt then for that idea right???

nevadanotch

• View Profile
Yes you need a solid bolt to thread into the threads of the clutch itself.   The bolt will act as a plug that you are forcing into the clutch.  The idea is to build up a couple of hundred pounds of pressure which will force the clutch off the crankshaft.   How far below the surface of the clutch is the end of the piece that is wedged in the clutch?  In other words how far can you thread the bolt into the clutch before it hits the end of the piece that's wedged into the clutch?
High Speed Soil Sampler!

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
Maybe half inch

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
Would that be enough ????

nevadanotch

• View Profile
I wouldn't chance it.  I don't think 1/2 inch is enough threads, you will probably strip the threads in the clutch.
High Speed Soil Sampler!

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
I dont really care if the clutch threads get messed up cuz im changing the clutch but i need to remove the old one

nevadanotch

• View Profile
Is the motor still in the Ody?

I would dismantle the clutch with it still attached to the crankshaft and see if this will give you any room so you can get a grip on the end of the stuck screw.

You can pull the outer face and the movable inner face off and leave the stationary part of the clutch still attached.
High Speed Soil Sampler!

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
Yes the motor is still in the odyssey and thats what i was thinking to take  it apart step by step or heat the bolt with a torch