Author Topic: Rear Brake  (Read 2799 times)

fl350 odyssey honda

• View Profile
Rear Brake
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
My rear bakes aren't working and I was thinking about putting on a different rear caliper from something else.

Any ideas about what caliper to use?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Rear Brake
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »
So you are sure your master cylinder is working properly? You have fresh clean fluid and no air bubbles in the lines? The cable from the yoke to the master cylinder is adjusted optimally? If those other items have problems, a different caliper will not solve your problem. If you use a caliper with more piston surface area, it increases leverage on the pads, but the lever will bottom out before enough fluid is passed. If you use a caliper with a smaller piston area, it will get harder to pull the lever. 

camz281974

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:36:27 PM »
I agree. Cable adjustment is critical on these brake systems. I adjust the cables so the levers are just touching the master cylinder pistons when the levers are released. This does 2 things. It allows maximum piston travel to get as much fluid to the caliper/wheel cylinders as possible and allows the master cylinder pistons to retract far enough to allow fluid to re-enter the pistons from the resevoir. Also prior to bleeding, I snug up the park brake and front brake adjusters just short of lock up so you get maximum fluid/air out of bleed screws without much caliper/wheel cyl piston travel. I have also made up a adapter for my automotve brake pressure bleeder that bolts up to the master cylinder that does basically the same as above. With both methods you will just have to maintain a full master cylinder or you will run out of fluid and allow air into the system.

Tooldogger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »
I was hoping to hear from anyone who could inform him about a caliper from something else. My proble is different. After buying my fl350R I have no rear caliper or bracket. I need something and getting a orginal fl350R caliper and bracket is nearly impossible.

Anything that might fit or fit with some mods?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »
I have looked long and hard for an alternative. I never found one that was appropriate. If the caliper piston area is any larger, the lever will bottom out on the yoke due to too high of required fluid volume. If the piston area is smaller, the levers will be harder to squeeze.