Author Topic: shock options  (Read 7970 times)

cbatcheler

• View Profile
shock options
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:18:58 PM »
My rear shocks are completely froze up I guess from just age. I know of the works shocks and really would love to have a set but can't budget them right now. Are there any other options. I've even looked on eBay as well as other places to find some factory kidney busters but can't find any rears. Any ideas
Fl350 and FL250

Fat Bastard

• View Profile
Re: shock options
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:18:29 PM »
Used my man. I'm pretty sure I have one I'd sell. The other was a victim of an axle failure. Did a number on it. If someone else has just one ill sell you this one. Maybe someone else has a set they'd sell you. My stockers aren't the best by any means but they work ok. I think the springs were too stiff stock. I am a fat bastard though so that might be working in my favor.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:20:04 PM by Fat Bastard »

cbatcheler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:28:52 AM »
Thanks man that might be an option depending on price. I need several other things too like a gas tank. The one someone rigged up on mine is off a lawn mower or something where they tried to gravity feed it with a busted pump while the tank was zip tied to the roll cage. The crap people rig up never seems to amaze me. I'm trying to round up enough stuff to get it running so me and some friends or me and my dad can take my 250 and 350 and ride together so any help on a budget is very appreciated. 
Fl350 and FL250

cbatcheler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 12:49:17 AM »
I found these on eBay. Does anyone know anything about them or have used them.
Fl350 and FL250

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »
Someone I used to ride with had them. The shafts would bend. They got replaced under warranty. He did this several times until he eventually bought Works shocks. The stock shocks are so stiff because the spring rate and pre-load is too high. If you want to do something cheap to get by until you can afford to get Works, look at reducing the pre-load on the stock springs. I assume you already have the clickers turned all the way soft which still puts maybe 3/4" or more pre-load on the springs. If you can modify the upper spring seats to be higher and have less pre-load, it will help. The spring and seats come off if you unthread the lower shock eyes.

cbatcheler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:06:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback livewire. The issue I have now is that my rears are stuck rock solid. I can't even jump up and down on the rear and get them to budge. Then only shock I have is the tire squish from load being applied.
Fl350 and FL250

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:31:55 AM »
Those Progressive Suspension shocks won't hold up to a race pace, as Livewire said, but for cruising around, they MAY work for you. Other than used, I haven't seen a better (or cheaper) option than Works shocks. You may find a ATV or snowmobile shock that might fit, but I haven't heard of anyone finding a substitute that works.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 01:50:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback livewire. The issue I have now is that my rears are stuck rock solid. I can't even jump up and down on the rear and get them to budge. Then only shock I have is the tire squish from load being applied.

So they are slightly stiffer than normal. Remove the springs and see if you can compress them. My thoughts here are don't spend a medium amount of money to get an interim solution. If it is a stop gap, then really do it on the cheap.

trailnablaze

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 04:05:12 PM »
I am new to the site, and about to be an owner of a fl350 within a week.  First thing that I want to do is upgrade the rear shocks...  Excuse my ignorance, but the Works Shocks sell for $599 a set of (2) shocks correct?  what advantage do you get from the external reservoirs?  Not looking to race, just want to make sure it is a comfortable ride.. Thanks for any and all input!   

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 04:32:53 PM »
I don't know the current price of the Works, but can say that you don't need the reservoirs.

trailnablaze

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Thank you^^^

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
You're welcome.  :)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 05:59:04 PM »
Prices are per pair.

trailnablaze

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 09:40:29 AM »
Thank you Live Wire..  This will be my first mod when I get this thing tomorrow.  I just need to figure out what to adjust the weight settings to.  I am 240 and my other half is 120.  She will be doing most of the riding, but I will be on it from time to time... 

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »
You have probably heard that Works builds to weight. Although true, it is to a weight range. The ones we stock for the FL350R rear are 160-210. If someone ordered for a weight in that range, they would get the same build. Honestly, I don't think it will be that big of a deal for you to use the build we stock. The way to address it if desired is I think ACR. I may be off on the acronym though. Works has an option where instead of using cross over collars inside the tender spring, it uses a sleeve on the outside that hits ears off a plate. The sleeve has steps in it and can be rotated using the same wrench used for adjustable pre-load. So it allows you to adjust the cross over point from the initial spring rate to the stiffer secondary one. So using the one spanner wrench, you could increase the pre-load and shift to the stiffer rate sooner within a couple minutes for a heavier rider. The spanner wrench is included with shocks that have threaded pre-load.