Author Topic: Counterbalance vent mod  (Read 4733 times)

kbkranz

• View Profile
Counterbalance vent mod
« on: December 29, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Hello
I have found a reference to a counterbalance vent mod through the search engine, but I can't find any details on how to do it, could someone please explain or perhaps post a picture?
Thanks, Kev

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Counterbalance vent mod
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:27:56 PM »
The vent mod is to prevent the oil from the counterbalancer from getting under the cylinder base and into the magneto side of the engine. Many a starter have gone bad from this venting issue. Have pics of how its done...but they are on disc. Will try to find em soon and post.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »
I don't bother to do this mod and do not have starter problems. Using the OEM base basket and keeping the oil at the low mark on the dip stick per the Honda service bulletin prevents any issues. There seems to be a need when someone does have a problem, to go above and beyond a solution that is just enough to solve it. I have seen the mod done by other's and often it causes additional problems by the way it is done. If you put the fitting in the wrong and easiest places to put it, the gear will pump the oil right up the vent tube. Putting the vent tube up high may then prevent it from leaking. At that point, who knows what the oil level is at. If there is oil in the tube, then air cannot pass so the whole point of it being a vent is lost. The front gear spins clockwise looked at from the left side. So the teeth in the front are moving up. The fitting would need to be behind the center line of the gear so that any oil flung off the teeth is not thrown at the fitting.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 04:35:16 PM »
I don't have any input on the effectiveness of of the various methods of venting, but think the need for some mod to prevent the oil migration is needed, unless you're the only one who ever works on your machine, and you're very attentive to your task.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 05:13:54 PM »
The groove in the bottom of the cylinder that connects the case voids is at the bottom. The voids in the bottom of the cylinder are much deeper. It is possible to drill a small hole in the web near the top of the void then fill the groove with rtv. Now it works as Honda intended, but a higher level. The height difference is probably as much as the difference between low and high on the dip stick.

Another point is the amount of oil between the full mark and the low mark won't kill the starter. I have drained more oil out of people's starter's than what the counter balancer holds total. It's the people that keep topping it off or worse filling to the top that ruin starters. Maybe a better mod would be to plug the current fill and make a new one that overflows at the right level like a Briggs and Stratton oil fill.

I know some people feel they want the higher oil level. I have NEVER seen a worn out counter balancer bearing. They always out last the crank bearings and get replaced at the same time. More oil means more power robbing drag from the balancer shaft smacking it.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 10:31:37 AM »
The groove in the bottom of the cylinder that connects the case voids is at the bottom. The voids in the bottom of the cylinder are much deeper. It is possible to drill a small hole in the web near the top of the void then fill the groove with rtv. Now it works as Honda intended, but a higher level. The height difference is probably as much as the difference between low and high on the dip stick.

Another point is the amount of oil between the full mark and the low mark won't kill the starter. I have drained more oil out of people's starter's than what the counter balancer holds total. It's the people that keep topping it off or worse filling to the top that ruin starters. Maybe a better mod would be to plug the current fill and make a new one that overflows at the right level like a Briggs and Stratton oil fill.

I know some people feel they want the higher oil level. I have NEVER seen a worn out counter balancer bearing. They always out last the crank bearings and get replaced at the same time. More oil means more power robbing drag from the balancer shaft smacking it.

That's good info, Steve. Thanks!
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)