Author Topic: Motor Options  (Read 6506 times)

KTM265

• View Profile
Motor Options
« on: April 03, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »
I have been debating on an engine for my second Pilot project...

Choices:

Kawasaki 750 with EFI...V-twin with CVT transmission...also give option to fab in 4X4.
Honda 700Xx with EFI...has reverse, manual shift...problem is no auto-clutch on the markets...that I have found.
Harley Evo...tons of aftermarket, simple air/oil cooled...aftermarket turbo chargers available at reasonable costs...
You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Hoser [həʊzə] n 1. US slang a person who swindles or deceives others 2. Canadian slang an unsophisticated, esp rural, person

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Motor Options
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:59:34 PM »
Of those 3, I would only look at the first one. I have some Formula Cross frames and body panels. They don't have the suspension on them, but if modding the Pilot anyways, you could start with something that does not have it already. The engine compartment is larger in a Formula Cross allowing easier packaging.

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »
AJ and I talked about it...instead of cutting a Pilot frame up, we're thinking to build the frame from ground up...using the Pilot frame as a guide...One reason behind this, as we have been working on this latest project, we noticed the quality of tubing used by Honda doesn't seem to be consistant...part of that could be due to age of the machine...so by building from scratch with fresh tube we can ensure quality/safety of the material/frame/cage...

We agreed the V-Twin sounds like a better option...we like the idea of building a 4X4 Pilot...having a PTO shaft on the front of the motor, makes that a viable option in the build...I still would like to explore that idea of having a manual shift someday but it would mean ditching all the hand controls and going with foot throttle at a minimum...using either a mechanical linkage or electric shift for the transmission...
You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Hoser [həʊzə] n 1. US slang a person who swindles or deceives others 2. Canadian slang an unsophisticated, esp rural, person

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »
The frames I have are made out of mostly .120 wall. The tubes were already bent up when we bought Hawk Motorsports. I will be making the next ones out of .095 DOM, the same as I make my Odyssey and Pilot long travel stuff out of.

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »
So you have "new" frames? 

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:36:43 AM »
Yes, they are NEW frames. I also have new fiberglass body panels for them.

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
Nice... Got some pictures?  Prices???   8)