Author Topic: Goki electric start kit/wont start  (Read 14490 times)

Jamfl250

• View Profile
Goki electric start kit/wont start
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »
Last week i finally installed my goki electric start kit for my fl 250.  Before doing so I took everything apart cleaned everything up and put her all back together with the goki kit.  FIRED right up each time I went to start it.  Two days ago, I put my tires back on it and took it for first road test.  I gave her full throttle and she started to bog down and died a few times, then I realized if I didnt full open throttle, she would go but not as fast as she should be.  then all of a sudden it died. and I couldnt get it started again, could get her to turn over, ok, possibly flooded carb.  So waited till next day went to start her and now just have loud clicking noise coming from my solenoid.  At first thought battery was low, so I charged it all nite and the next day same thing, loud clicking noise.  So, I went yesterday and replaced the solenoid, once again, same thing.  Today I removed the battery put it in my motorcycle and she fired right up battery is good.  So, I hooked up a portable jump starter to in place of a battery and as soon as you try to start it the fully charged indicater on my jump start goes from hight to low instantly and still no turn over just loud clicking noise from solenoid.  I really could use some advice here.  I had it running great up until my first time to take it out on road.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Goki electric start kit/wont start
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
Does it still have the pull starter? Can you turn the engine over with pull starter or by turning the drive clutch with your hand?You may know where I am going with this....Sounds like you were either running lean,or having a fuel delivery problem and could have siezed the engine....The only ther thing would be the starter armature grounding out causeing a dead short....

Jamfl250

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »
Well I will have to tear her down again, because I bought a block off plate to go in place of the pull starter.  I was going to use the pull starter to rebuild another one we have when I get around to it.  the fuel mixture was all new, used 32:1 ratio.  It ran just fine, up until I tried to take it out on the road, now im just getting a loud clicking noise from my solenoid.  so you think the engine could be seized.  Well I can take it apart I guess and use the engine of the other one, or I guess I can put the pull start back on and see if the engine will even turn.  im just at a lose here and hoping its something simple but obviously something im not seeing yet.

Jamfl250

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »
the starter armature exactly what is that.  I have gone over all the wires and grounds and havent seen anything out of place yet.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 05:14:30 PM »
First try to turn over the engine with the clutch. As Hoodlum tried to direct you, you likely seized it. Maybe it would still turn over while hot, but once it cooled, it locked up.

Jamfl250

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »
Well I just took it all apart, removed the engine and set it up on my table and the first thing I noticed was the starter motor was stuck on like it had seized and never retracted.  I took it apart and the motor turned by hand when I went to move it.  It moved pretty easily.  Like I said I noticed the starter motor had stuck in the on position like It seized when it went to start. 

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »
Sounds l;ike the bendex froze,which allowed the starter to spin at the same rpm as the engine....They won't handle but just a few seconds of that....It probably went through the brushes as well as every bushing in the starter......May have ruined the armature as well....That is the thing inside the starter motor that spins when it's engaged....Has the windings on it,and the bendix attaches to it as well....

Jamfl250

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:28:11 PM »
so what you are really trying to tell me is my starter motor is now ruined.  I pulled it out and was messing with it and it seems loose and everything.

Jamfl250

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 09:29:06 PM »
what is the bendex?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 07:30:28 AM »
Bendex is the gears at the end of the starter that move in and out,engageing the gear that spins the engine...

Jamfl250

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »
well took apart the starter motor and you were right on, so what could have caused this problem, its brand new, just installed.  Could this just be a fluke thing?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »
The starter motor was not the problem...The bendex was the problem.....Unless something shorted out and engaged the starter while you were running...It wouldn't take but a few seconds to trash it....You should be able to hear whether the starter is engaged or not....

Jamfl250

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
is the bendex the very back part of the starter with those for triagle like things that have springs unnder them?  im just curious what all replacement parts I need.  I tried hooking everything up and held the starter motor in my hand hooked a battery up to the solenoid to see if it would run and the motor doesnt do anything.  I found out by a massive brain fart I had my 3 way check valve in wrong, so , could bad fuel delivery have cause the engine to over rev, or something frying the bendex?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »
The bendex is located on the end of the starter....It has a gear on it that engages with the flywheel gear on your engine when you hit the starter button....It moves out then it is engaged,and back in when you let off the button....I think the triangle things with springs you referred too are the brushes,but not sure....
Over revving will not cause this.....Either your bendix stuck when you started it and never released,or the selenoid stuck closed and the starter continued to spin after you let off the button...

Jamfl250

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 09:27:27 PM »
ok, I thought the bendix was actually the armature.  So, If I get a new bendix, I should be ok?  I really appreciate you help, this forum is great.  I have another odyssey thats gonna take some major major tlc to get running would like to pick you brain when i get around to it.  It might be too much for me so might sell it.  Ok bendix is the gear at the end that engages the starting gears.