Author Topic: New to me Odyssey and some questions. (help)  (Read 11285 times)

mozzy

• View Profile
New to me Odyssey and some questions. (help)
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 08:03:47 AM »
Also, IF they charged your friend for that tool they 'had' to purchase to do the job, then that tool now belongs to your friend!!

Max78

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
Ok. . . . Need a little more help please.

The top end of the motor was rebuilt with a fresh piston and all that great stuff. The seals in the lower case where all replaced, however the case was never split apart. The shop we took it to said they did a pressure check and tested fine. Its still not running right!

I looked the P/N up for the air screw and all it contains is the screw and spring. Nothing else. No O-Ring no washer nothing.

The air screw does not affect the idle still, but if I put my thumb over those 2 holes on the bottom of the carb it will stall.

Could someone please tell me how to adjust this thing simple enough for a toddler to understand? Its starting to annoy the hell out of me.

This is what I take from the manual. Run the air screw all the way in until it bottoms out (being careful not to over tighten), then back off 1.5 turns. Then I use the idle adjustment screw to bring the RPM to 1300, after it gets to operating temp (ran for a few mins) I turn the air adjustment screw counter clockwise until it bottoms out again. It does not affect the idle what so ever. From the look of the smoke from the exhaust it is not running too lean, but that's just a damn guess.

Also if you ever lose the small spring on the air adjustment screw, use a spring from a click pen. Perfect fit! Yes it still allows the screw to fully seat.

I appreciate any and all help!!!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »
Quote from: "Max78"
Ok. . . . Need a little more help please.

The top end of the motor was rebuilt with a fresh piston and all that great stuff. The seals in the lower case where all replaced, however the case was never split apart. The shop we took it to said they did a pressure check and tested fine. Its still not running right!

I looked the P/N up for the air screw and all it contains is the screw and spring. Nothing else. No O-Ring no washer nothing.

The air screw does not affect the idle still, but if I put my thumb over those 2 holes on the bottom of the carb it will stall.

Could someone please tell me how to adjust this thing simple enough for a toddler to understand? Its starting to annoy the hell out of me.

This is what I take from the manual. Run the air screw all the way in until it bottoms out (being careful not to over tighten), then back off 1.5 turns. Then I use the idle adjustment screw to bring the RPM to 1300, after it gets to operating temp (ran for a few mins) I turn the air adjustment screw counter clockwise until it bottoms out again. It does not affect the idle what so ever. From the look of the smoke from the exhaust it is not running too lean, but that's just a damn guess.

Also if you ever lose the small spring on the air adjustment screw, use a spring from a click pen. Perfect fit! Yes it still allows the screw to fully seat.

I appreciate any and all help!!!

Are you positive it is letting it close all the way? Sounds like it's either not seating,or someone has already overtightened it...Have you checked the rubber intake boot for cracks? The 2 holes you are plugging up are vents...It isn't bogging,it is starving for fuel when you block them off....

Max78

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 11:59:50 AM »
Well I think I found the problem. I checked the boot for cracks before we sent if off to the shop to get rebuilt and everything checked out ok, no cracks and was sealing good. Well I took the carb off to check that boot again and noticed it had mismatched bolts and washers holding it on. Some had 2 washers and an original bolt, others had no washer and a shiny new bolt. The boot is still good but when I went to put it back on the threads pulled right out of 3 of the holes. I didn?t even torque it down they where that easy to pull out.

So now I have to pull the motor again and install some Helicoils.  

Do you think I could have hurt the motor by blocking off that vent port?

Edit: The air screw and inside the carb looks to be in good condition so I don?t think that?s it. It still fully seats with that spring in there.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 08:21:43 AM »
Quote from: "Max78"
Well I think I found the problem. I checked the boot for cracks before we sent if off to the shop to get rebuilt and everything checked out ok, no cracks and was sealing good. Well I took the carb off to check that boot again and noticed it had mismatched bolts and washers holding it on. Some had 2 washers and an original bolt, others had no washer and a shiny new bolt. The boot is still good but when I went to put it back on the threads pulled right out of 3 of the holes. I didn?t even torque it down they where that easy to pull out.

So now I have to pull the motor again and install some Helicoils.  

Do you think I could have hurt the motor by blocking off that vent port?

Edit: The air screw and inside the carb looks to be in good condition so I don?t think that?s it. It still fully seats with that spring in there.

No,you didn't hurt it...If you did,it would have melted the piston and wouldn't be running at all right now.....

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 10:19:30 AM »
tineserts are better than helicoils. They don't come out on the bolt.

Max78

• View Profile
Re: New to me Odyssey and some questions. (help)
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »
Ok, so I managed to get the helicoils in and everything installed. She runs great and starts immediately.

I?m still having the air screw issue where it does nothing.  I called up Aftershock and talked to someone (I?m terrible with names). He explained how it works and gave me a ton of insight and general knowledge about the FL350.

We went ahead and ordered their Digital Gauge Unit as we want more information to help with tuning. It?s a small price to pay in the long term, and a nice piece of mind.

It is a rebuilt motor and had lube hole drilled and exhaust bridge work done. I was never told what size piston was put in, but I think that is throwing my adjustment off. It is currently running lean from what I can tell. It doesn?t want to return to idle after it is warmed up and you rev it up, pulling the choke fixes that. I?m going to drop the E-clip on the needle 1 position and see how that helps.

What is the optimal EGT and head temp for the FL350? It will be a desert runner with gear loaded on it. 

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 02:18:01 PM »
You spoke with me, Steve. Not dropping to idle after revving indicates lean on the slow jet/air bleed. Try turning the air bleed in until it lightly seats and see if that fixes it. If not, put in the next larger size slow jet, back the air bleed back out to 1 1/2 turns and check again.

Max78

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »

Thanks Steve for all your help!

It runs kind of strange. When it is cold it runs extremely rich or so it looks. It billows a ton of smoke, I mean seriously allot of smoke. It?s boggy and doesn?t have a great deal of power. This is with the air screw all the way seated. After it warms up with me not touching anything on the carb (air bleed still seated) it runs lean, or so it seems. It has a great deal of power and does not like to return to idle until the choke it pulled.

I have an automotive one-way valve on the stator vent (I think?), it might not be sealing too well when it gets warm. Could that cause this?

I will try bumping up the slow jet.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 05:06:31 PM »
It sounds like an air leak. It is common for something to open once once warm. I would not put a one way valve on the vent, but not sure if affecting the leak.

Max78

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 11:41:50 PM »
  I hooked up the CHT and EGT gauge and now I'm trying to find out what the correct temps are for the motor.

After coming down from a sprint it will not return to idle without the choke being pulled. The cylinder head temp is usually around 250?, EGT is around 1200?.  When I pull the choke and try to open the throttle up all the way it bogs and the CHT and EGT never really drops.

What are acceptable CHT and EGT temperatures?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 07:45:53 AM »
Man,thats a hard one,and almost impossible to answer....The reason being,I don't think any egt's are calibrated the same,and the placement of the probe makes a difference too...I had an egt once that read 1225 at the highest I ever saw it...It was damaged by water and replaced...The new one useing the exact same probe,measured as high as 1450 a couple of times.....
All you can do is pressure test the engine,make sure it's jetted correctly with plug chops,and get a good base line setting.....Then you can use the egt as a reference....If it starts showing significantly different readings than your baseline,you know somethings wrong....
I personally don't use one any more because I have gotten to the point where I can tell from the sound of the engine wether it's running lean or not....After you get a good feel for the machine,you probably will too,and won't really look at the egt unless you feel like something isn't acting right.....
By the way,the cht reading of 250 is pretty good.....
Hoodlum

Max78

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »

So i went flat out on flat ground and the CHT went up to 273?, is that acceptable? As soon as I back off it drops down in the 240? - 250? range.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »
Not bad but the cht will not show an air leak very well....If it is not returning to idle and leaning out after warming up,there is a leak somewhere...I would suggest not doing anymore runs until you can pressure test the engine and verify there is no leak....You will melt your piston very easily....You could easily be reaching 1300's on the egt even though the gauge is reading in the 1200's.....DO A LEAK TEST PLEASE!!!!