Author Topic: WTB FL400 Side Pannels - New or close to  (Read 1518 times)

nitrosport_5

• View Profile
WTB FL400 Side Pannels - New or close to
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
Well, i just realized how shitty my machine is going to look with my old side pannels and brand new fenders. Is there anyone that is willing to part with a set of new or damn close to new side pannels?
Im willing to pay for the right set, hell id even name any future children after you if you choose lol. If there are scratches in a used set that is fine, im mainly looking for a better color match If worse comes to worse i will just paint my current ones.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WTB FL400 Side Pannels - New or close to
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Good luck....If any came up for sale,I am sure there would be a mad dash to grab them....If color is all you are looking for,try plastic renuz....It works pretty good.....

nitrosport_5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:47:38 PM »
I figured that, but its worth a shot right?

Plastic renew was my next option. one of them is cracked but i can repair that. If worse comes to worse and plastic renew doesnt work i can always paint them once a month LOL. The pilot i am restoring was sitting outside for 10+years so the plastics are very dark, dull, and ugly.

Does Aftershockmotorsports have any intent on making the side panels? it sounds like there possibly is a market for them?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:19:34 AM »
The biggest problem with the Pilot plastic versus the Odyssey plastic is that the Pilot parts interlock and blend. Just getting the FL350R front fenders to match up perfectly to the floor tub took 3 reworks to the mold. It came out very clean now, as good if not better than stock. However, the seam is not like the Pilot seams where the side panels meet the rear fenders. I was shooting for a consistent small gap like stock as opposed to the Pilot that has no gap. They can be made with a tight seam, but it may still have a radius into the seam. look at the picture below and see how both the stock tub and the replacement fender have a radius into the seam. I'm concerned people would be bothered by that. During my last more thorough review of what it would take, there would be one visible cap screw added to the panel and one more that goes through it, but not very visible. That is beyond the already visible cap screws. The rear fenders would likely be the same, 1 and 1 added. The front fenders are a very deep draw. They are possible only with an elaborate special mold and fixture or making them two piece with a seam inside the tub area.