Author Topic: '80 Odyssey Magneto/Coil wiring setup??  (Read 5764 times)

3car fan

'80 Odyssey Magneto/Coil wiring setup??
« on: March 20, 2011, 07:20:18 PM »
Hey guys...I'm starting from the beginning with this project.  First off I just want to find out if I have spark. Problem is that when we got this Odyssey the motor was removed and wires cut instead of just unplugged.  I do have a service manual but no good pix in it as to how the coil/condenser/magneto is wired.  I have a wiring diagram and it appears the yellow and black from the magneto continues to the headlight, etc., but the black splits off and goes to the coil..??  (Note:  In the photo I included of the magneto, the green wire is just connected to ground on the motor).  My problem is that I don't know how the wires are attached to the coil and condenser and if it is actually the black wire that is used.  In the photo of the coil, A is the condenser wire and B is the plug on the coil.  There's also a ground wire attached to the frame that has been cut.  The points look ok.  Just want to have it wired up correctly so I know for sure if I'm getting spark or not.  Thanx for any help!

-Dan

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »
The black does not go to the lights....It splits,with one going to the coil and the other to the kill switch....The yellow goes to the head light switch...Make sure your grounds are secure too....
Hoodlum

3car fan

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
Thanx Hood.  So...Black goes to "B" on the coil?  And then how does wire "A" hook up?  (Condenser wire).  Appreciate the help.  I've worked on a lot of cars but kinda lost when it comes to this, although it's simpler...just different.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:15:44 AM »
Black should go to A on the coil...The B side should be grounded...

3car fan

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:12:22 PM »
Hmmm....Now I am confused...So the black from the magneto goes to "A"?  ("A" is just the wire coming out of the condenser).  And plug ("B") on the coil looks like it's being shielded from ground.  Not to doubt you Hood, cuz I really do appreciate the help...but I just don't understand how the coil would get power that way.??

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 09:47:28 AM »
Quote from: "3car fan"
Hmmm....Now I am confused...So the black from the magneto goes to "A"?  ("A" is just the wire coming out of the condenser).  And plug ("B") on the coil looks like it's being shielded from ground.  Not to doubt you Hood, cuz I really do appreciate the help...but I just don't understand how the coil would get power that way.??

The power needs to go through the condensor first before going to the plug.....Look in  the manual in the engine/ignition section...It shows the black wire from the generator going to the condensor.....Also,in the wiring diagram,it shows the one connection going to ground and the other to the generator.....
I have never owned a 250...I am just going by the manual on this....

3car fan

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:27:23 PM »
Ok....Thanx for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it!

3car fan

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:56:09 PM »
Ok, so I hooked it up the way you said, ground wires and all, and still no spark.  Hooking it up that way puts the black wire from the magneto directly into the condenser and that's all...there's only one wire on the condenser, and of course the outside of it is grounded.  I still don't see how this would work, as it seems the power is just going into the condenser and that's it.  How would the electricity ever get to the coil?  Sorry, I feel like I'm being a pain, but I'm just not getting it.....

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:18:48 AM »
Quote from: "3car fan"
Ok, so I hooked it up the way you said, ground wires and all, and still no spark.  Hooking it up that way puts the black wire from the magneto directly into the condenser and that's all...there's only one wire on the condenser, and of course the outside of it is grounded.  I still don't see how this would work, as it seems the power is just going into the condenser and that's it.  How would the electricity ever get to the coil?  Sorry, I feel like I'm being a pain, but I'm just not getting it.....

I see what you're saying...I thought the condensor was wired to the coil as well....Wonder what the purpose of the condensor is if you can run power into it,but not through it....Now i'm confused too....

3car fan

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 12:04:50 PM »
Ya no kidding....First time I hooked it up I ran the black magneto wire to the condenser and to B on the coil.  Got no spark that way and that's what made me start this thread.  It's probably simple to someone who's used to reading wiring diagrams, but I'm an idiot when it comes to that.